"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, October 24, 2011

Garrett's Surgery

2011 will go down in history as the year of the surgeries. We have averaged every other month this year being in the hospital with someone going under the knife. On October 24th, it was little Garrett's turn.

The day after he was born, they took him to be circumcised. The ped brought him back only a few minutes later and said that they couldn't finish the job because they found him to have a condition called "Hypospadias". It's when in utero, the urethral opening doesn't fuse all the way and it leaves what seems to be TWO holes. This may not sound like a big deal, but apparently the ability to pee standing up is a huge thing for a guy. You don't want to be at the urinal in a public restroom and hit the guy standing next to you with a surprise. Sorry buddy, I shot you with a little something there.

They normally do surgery for the at about six months old...and no sooner. They often times need to the foreskin to repair the problem, this the reason they could not circumcise him at birth. Back in June we saw a pediatric urologist who came highly recommended from some friends of ours. Mike Taylor happens to be a urology resident at the U and his own son had this same condition. so we saw Patrick Cartwright and he was certain he could fix the problem when Garrett was six months old.

The day came, and like always, I was a nervous wreck at the thought of my baby being put under anesthesia. Actually, on this particular day I was more nervous about his surgery starting so late in the day and poor Baby G being sooooooo hungry! But he handled it like a champ. Dr. Anderton was his anesthesiologist and he was wonderful. He was an older guy who had grown children and he was so good to Garrett. When I saw him carry my little baby off through the big white doors, cradled in his arms, I was overcome with emotion, but more so grateful that he was in such good care.

An hour later, Dr. Cartwright came in to say everything went great. By this time it was 3:15 in the afternoon and I knew Garrett would be so hungry when he woke up. I was finally able to go see him in recovery and he was hysterical. The nurses couldn't pass him off to me fast enough because they could do nothing to console him. His poor face was beat red and tear stained. I sat down in the rocking chair to feed him and he was like a vulture, very ready to eat. He ate and ate and ate!!

When we got home he slept for most of the day and well into the night. But at midnight he woke up hungry and he then realized that his manhood had been tampered with and he was very angry!! He cried a lot during the night every time he wet his diaper, because it burned so much. We didn't get a lot of sleep those first two nights, but by day three he was doing much better. I feel we made the right decision in doing this surgery and I am very thankful for the doctors and staff at our wonderful hospital who take such a personal interest in each of our babies!






















No comments: