I turned 34 years old today at 9:14 p.m. In the spirit of things, I figure I should do a little documenting about myself. I spend so much of my time chronicling and documenting the lives of other people, but I need to sit down and do it about myself once in a while.
1. I am much more confidant in myself in my mid-thirties than I was this time ten years ago.
2. I detest the misuse of apostrophes and reflexive pronouns.
3. I am the middle child of seven kids. I have two older brothers, one older sister, two younger brothers, and one younger sister. I get a little lost in the mix.
4. I always always wanted to be a teacher from the time I was little. Now I realize it is not the path for me and it makes me a little sad.
5. I don't open up to people easily. I love to listen to people. I love to hear their stories and learn what makes them tick. I love helping people with their problems, but I am not one to divulge my problems or my story to many people.
6. I met my best friend in kindergarten and she remained my best friend all through high school. She is still a very important part of my life, even though we see each other once in a blue moon.
7. I absolutely love hidden camera shows, namely practical joke shows.
8. My husband is my best friend.
9. I always wanted six kids- three boys and three girls. When I got married I said I wanted two boys and two girls. We ended up with three boys and two girls and we're right where we were meant to be.
10. I would have another baby in a heartbeat if it was meant to happen, but it's not.
11. I have a freakishly strong abdomen. You would never know it by looking at me, but those muscles are crazy strong on the inside. I can stand on my head for a super long time and grown men can stand on my core while I lay on the ground and I can hold them there. It's very weird.
12. My first car was a 1986 Nissan 200SX. I paid $3,000 for it and put $5,000 into it before I'd had it for five years. I made several round trips between Texas and Utah in it. The FM radio quit working right after I got it, it didn't have a cassette player (and definitely didn't have a CD player) so I listened to a lot of AM talk radio.
13. I struggle with the concept of organized religion and have most of my adult life.
14. I love working my body to brink of exhaustion, whether it's doing yard work all day or doing a triathlon. My body is an amazing machine and I appreciate it more and more the older I get. I take far better care of it in my 30s than I did in my teens (that's probably true for most people).
15. I fought a prescription drug addiction for the better part of three years and I know firsthand the nightmare of detoxing.
16. My stomach is covered in stretch marks. I try to look at them as battle scars to be proud of, but don't. I think they are ugly, although I do appreciate what they symbolize.
17. I can quote "The Labyrinth" by heart, almost word for word. The entire movie. I still have a huge crush on David Bowie, just as I did when I was a kid.
18. I am beyond terrified of plumbing in swimming pools. It's a very irrational fear and I can't explain it. Pool drains scare the ever living $h#@ out of me. This is strange because I have spent my whole life in swimming pools.
19. I hate milk. The only way I drink it is on cereal, and it must be SKIM milk, partially watered down.
20. I don't have a large number of close friends. I have a very small number of close friends, and it normally takes me a while to get to the point of "good friend" with a person. I am fiercely loyal to my close friends. Fiercely.
21. I love making homemade ice cream.
22. I miss spring time in Texas so much it hurts every year when I know it's wildflower season.
23. I miss almost everything about Texas, almost all of the time. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the place where live now, but a huge part of my soul is Texas and that will never change.
24. I am not a very good cook. There are a few dishes that I make very well, but overall, it is not my strong area.
25. I have an almost debilitating fear of my children getting severely injured or deathly ill....and dying. Probably because I have witnessed that pain firsthand more than a person should. I actually see a therapist on a weekly basis to help me with this particular problem.
26. Exercising outdoors is a huge stress relief for me. There is nothing more calming that running or biking into a sunset.
27. I sometimes wish I had gone to school to be an engineer. I come from a line of engineering minds and I think I got that gene.
28. My happy place is my garage when I am tinkering, building, and using power tools. The smell of sawdust is euphoric to me.
29. The smell of citronella on a summer night is euphoric to me.
30. I have never ever squatted to pee. I have never ever peed in/on anything that was not a toilet, a latrine, or a port-a-potty.
31. I had my last baby exactly 6 weeks before I turned 31 years old.
32. I play the piano when I am hurting inside.
33. I never learned the correct way to type, although I can type fairly fast. However, I kick myself for hating my fourth grade teacher enough to NOT learn to keyboard from her.
34. I will never ever ever be too old to not need my parents. I love my parents and my siblings more as I get older. Maybe it's because life seems to be speeding up and I realize that time is fleeting. I cherish my family more than anything else in the world.