"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, May 15, 2014

34 Facts About Veronica


I turned 34 years old today at 9:14 p.m.  In the spirit of things, I figure I should do a little documenting about myself.  I spend so much of my time chronicling and documenting the lives of other people, but I need to sit down and do it about myself once in a while.

1. I am much more confidant in myself in my mid-thirties than I was this time ten years ago.

2. I detest the misuse of apostrophes and reflexive pronouns.

3. I am the middle child of seven kids.  I have two older brothers, one older sister, two younger brothers, and one younger sister.  I get a little lost in the mix.

4. I always always wanted to be a teacher from the time I was little.  Now I realize it is not the path for me and it makes me a little sad.

5.  I don't open up to people easily.  I love to listen to people.  I love to hear their stories and learn what makes them tick.  I love helping people with their problems, but I am not one to divulge my problems or my story to many people. 

6. I met my best friend in kindergarten and she remained my best friend all through high school.  She is still a very important part of my life, even though we see each other once in a blue moon.

7. I absolutely love hidden camera shows, namely practical joke shows.

8. My husband is my best friend.

9. I always wanted six kids- three boys and three girls.  When I got married I said I wanted two boys and two girls.  We ended up with three boys and two girls and we're right where we were meant to be.

10.  I would have another baby in a heartbeat if it was meant to happen, but it's not.

11.  I have a freakishly strong abdomen.  You would never know it by looking at me, but those muscles are crazy strong on the inside.  I can stand on my head for a super long time and grown men can stand on my core while I lay on the ground and I can hold them there.  It's very weird.

12.  My first car was a 1986 Nissan 200SX.  I paid $3,000 for it and put $5,000 into it before I'd had it for five years.  I made several round trips between Texas and Utah in it.  The FM radio quit working right after I got it, it didn't have a cassette player (and definitely didn't have a CD player) so I listened to a lot of AM talk radio. 

13.  I struggle with the concept of organized religion and have most of my adult life.

14.  I love working my body to brink of exhaustion, whether it's doing yard work all day or doing a triathlon.  My body is an amazing machine and I appreciate it more and more the older I get.  I take far better care of it in my 30s than I did in my teens (that's probably true for most people).

15.  I fought a prescription drug addiction for the better part of three years and I know firsthand the nightmare of detoxing. 

16.  My stomach is covered in stretch marks.  I try to look at them as battle scars to be proud of, but  don't.  I think they are ugly, although I do appreciate what they symbolize.

17.  I can quote "The Labyrinth" by heart, almost word for word.  The entire movie.  I still have a huge crush on David Bowie, just as I did when I was a kid.

18.  I am beyond terrified of plumbing in swimming pools.  It's a very irrational fear and I can't explain it.  Pool drains scare the ever living $h#@ out of me.  This is strange because I have spent my whole life in swimming pools.

19.  I hate milk.  The only way I drink it is on cereal, and it must be SKIM milk, partially watered down.

20.  I don't have a large number of close friends.  I have a very small number of close friends, and it normally takes me a while to get to the point of "good friend" with a person.  I am fiercely loyal to my close friends.  Fiercely.

21. I love making homemade ice cream.

22.  I miss spring time in Texas so much it hurts every year when I know it's wildflower season.

23.  I miss almost everything about Texas, almost all of the time.  It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the place where  live now, but a huge part of my soul is Texas and that will never change. 

24.  I am not a very good cook.  There are a few dishes that I make very well, but overall, it is not my strong area.

25.  I have an almost debilitating fear of my children getting severely injured or deathly ill....and dying.  Probably because I have witnessed that pain firsthand more than a person should.  I actually see a therapist on a weekly basis to help me with this particular problem. 

26.  Exercising outdoors is a huge stress relief for me.  There is nothing more calming that running or biking into a sunset.

27.  I sometimes wish I had gone to school to be an engineer.  I come from a line of engineering minds and I think I got that gene.

28.  My happy place is my garage when I am tinkering, building, and using power tools.  The smell of sawdust is euphoric to me.

29.  The smell of citronella on a summer night is euphoric to me.

30.  I have never ever squatted to pee.  I have never ever peed in/on anything that was not a toilet, a latrine, or a port-a-potty.

31.  I had my last baby exactly 6 weeks before I turned 31 years old.

32.  I play the piano when I am hurting inside.

33.  I never learned the correct way to type, although I can type fairly fast.  However, I kick myself for hating my fourth grade teacher enough to NOT learn to keyboard from her.

34.  I will never ever ever be too old to not need my parents.  I love my parents and my siblings more as I get older.  Maybe it's because life seems to be speeding up and I realize that time is fleeting.  I cherish my family more than anything else in the world. 

No comments: