"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Soccer Camp & BBQ- Day 2

Monday morning came way too early.  I had already gotten up and showered and started cooking breakfast when Paul dragged himself up the stairs.  "Good mornin' Mr. Adorable," I said to him.  He was tired. We chatted as I made him breakfast, and it felt so natural.  It really seemed like I had known this kid for longer than only twelve hours.  I packed his Gatorade cooler, took his lunch order, and Scott came to pick him up (Scott is a director who was running the camp, and he happens to live right around the corner from us.  He would be Paul's ride to camp for the week.) They left the house at 7:45 and I snapped a picture.  Paul probably thought that was weird, but he would soon discover that I document EV-ERY-THING.  Poor guy was subjected to a camera in his face all week! 

I didn't take any pictures at camp on this day, or at home for that matter.  Devin was with Coach Lee, Lauren was with Coach Scott, and Ethan was with Coach Oli (who is Scott's flatmate; also our neighbor). After running back and forth between camp and running errands (the kids were all on different schedules) and taking Paul Subway for lunch, I finally headed home about 1:00 to get things ready for a BBQ we would be having with some old friends that night.  Paul was supposed to be brought home by one of the coaches, but there seemed to be some miscommunication and he in fact did not have a ride back to our house.  To make a long story short, we was supposed to be done with camp at 3:00 and he walked in our front door at 5:00.  Even though he's not my son, I started to get anxious around 4:00.  I wondered if I had heard correctly, or if I was actually supposed to have gotten him.  We had neglected to give him our phone numbers, and the prepaid piece of crap phone he got to use in the States had died anyway.

When he finally got home, he was pretty frazzled.  He told me what had happened, and he went to take a shower.  A cold front had started blowing in during the day and by the evening it was cold and rainy.  We joked that he had brought the crappy Irish weather with him!  Our backyard BBQ ended up having to be inside.  We had some old neighbors over and it was a lot of fun for US, but I think Paul felt a little out of sorts because everyone was pestering him with question after question.  It didn't help that I treated him like he was a trained monkey, telling him to say all sorts of funny things with his thick accent.  He was such a good sport, though.  On this night, we were all smart and decided to get to bed at a decent time. 

No comments: