"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My First Baby

I got this off another blog and thought it would be fun to do. This is all about my first baby.
1. Were you married at the time of the birth? yes

2. What were your reactions when you found out you were pregnant?
Absolutely devastated at first because it threw a major wrench into my academic plans.

3. How old were you? 23

4. How did you find out you were pregnant?
First Response pregnancy test. Wow, my world flipped upside down when I saw that second line!

5. Who did you tell first? My mom. I called her right away and cried hysterically and she couldn't understand me. She thought something had happened to Cody at first. Then when she finally understood I was pregnant she was relieved that nothing bad had happened!

6. Did you want to find out the sex?
ABSOLUTELY!! I was really wanting a girl but as soon as we saw it was a boy, I was over joyed.

7. Due date: That was never for sure because I got pregnant on Depo. My date ranged from January 6 to February 14!!

8. Did you deliver child early or late?
8 days late according to the ultrasound due date.

9. Did you have morning sickness?
YES!! And those people who "brag" about never getting sick need to be shot!!!

10. What did you crave? chili dogs. Funny story- When I was about 10 weeks along, I was walking around one Saturday morning crying because I'd thrown up so much but was so hungry. Nothing in the house sounded good and the smell of almost everything sent me running to the bathroom. At about 9:30 that morning as commercial for Sonic came on and I saw a footlong chili dog. All the of the sudden I turned into a maniac and said (in between sobs) "If I don't get a chili dog right now I'm going to kill someone!!" I've never seen Cody dash out of there so fast. He ran to sonic that morning and got my two footlongs. I wolfed them down so fast. Now when the craving for chili dogs hits I buy one and also stop off to buy a pregnancy test.

11. Who irritated you the most?
Skinny women. Especially skinny pregnant women.

12. What was your first child's sex? Boy.

13. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy? 70. I hit 205 the day he was born.

14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy?
Nope. Just a lot of sickness and I got very swollen.

15. Where did you give birth to your child? LDS Hospital.

16. How many hours were you in labor?
21 hours. I started [real] labor at 3:00 in the morning and labored at home all day by myself until 6:30 that night. I had planned on going naturally and I practiced Lamaze all day long. When Cody got home that evening we went to the hospital where I labored naturally for a few more hours. Then I caved and got an epi because the back labor was so intense and my body couldn't relax enough to dilate (according to the doctor, which I now understand was a load of bunk). Ethan's heart rate began to drop down into the 50s and they decided to do a c-section. I was beyond devastated!

17. Who drove you to the hospital? Cody

18. Who watched?
No one but medical personnel. Cody stayed by my head behind the blue drape. But he did accidentally look up at one point and see my guts!

19. Did you take medicine to ease the pain? See #16

20. How much did your child weigh? 8 lbs 8 oz

21. Why did you name him/her the name you picked? We named him Ethan Gilbreth. We just liked the name Ethan and Gilbreth is my mom's maiden name. She has no brothers to carry on the family name, and her father was an only child. So the name would shortly die out in our family.

6 comments:

jess... said...

I hate hot dogs!!!!! Interesting enough, I have had 3 coney and totts(sonic) in the past couple of weeks. CRAZY!!!!

Jenni said...

Oh fun! I think I'll do this survey later on tonight or tomorrow.

Jenni said...

Oh fun! I may have to do this survey later on tonight or tomorrow!

Jeanette said...

So funny. I hated skinny pregnant women too. Especially those that would complain that they were worried about getting back into their size 2 jeans in the hospital. Oh please!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Oh that is a sweet story of your first born!

Ute Family said...

That is so fun...I love the chilli dog story. You're hilarious!!