"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, June 18, 2018

Father's Day Camping

 All Cody wanted for Father's Day was three simple things- 

1.) His funny annual Father's Day book filled out 
2.) His silly homemade Father's Day tie
3.) To go camping with just us

Number one was too difficult for me to do this year, as it was a favorite tradition from our old life (i.e. pre-Garrett death) but I'm gonna try to get it done for him this year.  Number two also falls in the same category of heartache for me, but I'm also trying to get that done for him.  We shall see.

Number three was a piece of cake.  The kids and I had just spent the previous week camping in New Mexico (post to follow) so we thought, why not?  That way, I didn't feel the urgency to get all the camp stuff cleaned and put away, because we'd be using it a few days later.

We drove not even ninety minutes from home into the Cache National Forest to a tiny little spot called Guinavah.  It seemed to be secluded in the middle of nowhere, and was absolutely perfect.  The Logan River ran a mere fifty feet from our campsite and we were lulled to sleep at night by the sound of it.  Sometimes I take for granted how beautiful this place is that I call home.  People come from all over the world to visit the Utah mountains, and we live right in the middle of the beauty.  I look out my window each day, I drive down the highways, and my view is unreal.  I grew up in the plains and swamps of Texas, but after living here for seventeen years, I don't know that I could ever NOT live in the mountains.  My backyard truly is spectacular.  

Cody worked with the kids on starting a fire with only steel wool and a 9V battery.  
Success!





On Saturday morning we got up and made pancakes and bacon, then set out for a five-mile hike near the banks of the river.  It was pretty steep in places and the climb was surely felt in our lungs and legs, but looking below at the rushing river made it worth it. 





I don't remember the last time I wore makeup and even though I look better with it, I really love not having to wear it while camping!





Angus and his tiny legs get tired easily, but he was a trooper and climbed all five miles with us.






We waited until it was cool enough for the trout to come out of hiding, then we found the perfect spot to go fishing.  Unfortunately, they weren't interested in what we brought as bait.  All they wanted was flies, but Cody hadn't brought his fly gear with him.  Nothing was caught, but the kids loved it.















I snapped this about twenty seconds before Devin took a tumble off that rock and landed in the water!  It was his last pair of pants.


The trip wouldn't have been complete without Garrett's flag!



Luckily, Lauren had an extra pair of pants that weren't caked in mud, and Devin was a good sport about wearing them.  In fact, I think he wore them better!
On our last night, we stayed up late playing a card version of "Family Feud" and we were busting up laughing way too much.  I think we were all sleep deprived, but I have to record this.  One of the survey questions was, "Name something that kids brag about their dads being better at than other dads."  Most people would have said "being stronger" or "being smarter" or "having a better job" etc.  Nope!  Devin was the first one to blurt anything out and he said, "being a pedophile!"  He didn't even miss a beat.  It was the FIRST thing that came to mind and Cody was all, WTH?! So let it be known that Devin's dad is better at being a pedophile than YOUR dad.

By the end of most camp trips, at least one of us is crying that they want to go home.  But this one was perfect in most ways, and none of us wanted to leave.  We could have stayed another week, although I was missing my hot shower back home.  Three days without showering can get to a person and a group, but really, it was a fantastic trip;  a trip we REALLY needed as a family. We're already planning out next trip to this same spot.

Goodnight!