"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My Kind of Cosplay

Little known fact about Veronica-

If I could do one thing for a profession, anything at all, if I had no responsibilities and my family didn't need my education and subsequent career to get by, I would be a historical costume designer and seamstress.

I've never been drawn to stories about the present day, but rather stories about the past.  My first major in college was history and I've always thought I was born about 150 years after the time I should have been born.  My ticket was misplaced or something- I don't know.  As much as I love living in the modern age because, well, life as a woman is a lot easier (e.g. I can vote, I can limit the number of children I had, I don't HAVE to suffer through the pain of childbirth and maybe even die, my children have access to modern medicine and don't have to perish because they get the flu, etc...) I truly love the past and I made my first historical costume for a Renaissance festival when I was in high school.

I've made many historical costumes over the years, but this is possibly my favorite yet.  In fourth grade at our children's school, they spend the year studying about Utah history in social studies and then have a big rendezvous at the end of the year.  I've always volunteered at these events, but unfortunately this year it fell right in the middle of a trip I had to take for school to attend a conference in California.  I was so sad that I had to miss it, but at least I got to make Lauren a costume and I even made [another] tipi to donate for the cause.

Granted, this style dress represents about 100 years before the pioneers settled Utah, but it's what Lauren wanted.  We looked at patterns and fabric and I warned her that this style is from about 1750 (think Cora Munro in "The Last of the Mohicans") and Utah wasn't even a part of the French and Indian war, but she fell in love with this style, and to be honest, it's a lot more fitting for a true rendezvous.  

I absolutely love how it turned out and I want to make an adult size for me, and take off to Montana this summer and see if I can join another rendezvous like we did last year!







3 comments:

Lani said...

You are amazing V!!! I LOVE it!!!!

Veronica said...

Thanks Lani!

Brandi said...

You’re an amazing seamstress! (Brandi here)