"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why Did I Marry Him?

...Because he's my best friend. I've been reminded of this numerous times this week. This new calling is proving to be very challenging for me, but I'm already seeing the blessings that were promised to me. At first Cody wasn't happy about it and he wasn't very supportive. When the Bishop set me apart, he specifically said that because of this calling, our marriage would be strengthened and Cody would be a helpmeet to me. At the time I so stressed that I almost blew it off like "Yeah right...not him."

This past Sunday was really hard for me. I have so many new responsibilities and I was beyond tired by the end of church. That afternoon when we got home, Cody seriously stepped up to the plate. I could not believe how he took over all of my house duties and he worked and worked until midnight. He cleaned, he cooked, he got the kids ready for bed, and he kept insisting that I relax.

And it hasn't stopped since then. I have seen a dramatic change in his attitude in a few short days. He's happy, he's pleasant, he doesn't complain about anything, and he has been putting all of my needs first. Last night I came home from a meeting at 10:00 and I was beyond exhausted. I crashed into the couch and I realized I was starving. He asked me what he could make for me, but nothing sounded good. So he kept pestering me about what DID sound good, and the only thing that sounded good was a taco salad. He said "I feel bad that I haven't satisfied any of your pregnancy cravings this time around." He grabbed his keys and hopped in his car to go find a place still open where he could get me a taco salad!!

I am beyond thrilled at his change of heart. I'm sure it's fleeting and he'll likely fall back into his old ways from time to time (that of being a total guy) but for now I'm extremely grateful that he's been so wonderful to me. I know the Lord is holding to His promise. I married Cody because he was one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I'd ever met. He has a huge heart and it's a quality that I admired in him from day one. I'm very lucky that I've been able to see it shining through this week. I love you Cody!!!

2 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

what a good husband and isn't the lord amazing! You are going to rock as the new primary president! I am so excited for you!

Sarah Stiles said...

Aww, what a sweet man:) Congrats on the new calling as Primary President. I knew you would get it eventually, lol. Craig and I are in the Primary, too. We teach CTR 7 & 8. MAJOR handful of a class - not a lot of kids, but the ones we have are soo hard to work with sometimes. It can be pretty crazy. We love them, though, and they have improved quite a bit since we have started teaching.