"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, January 25, 2010

Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa Salad

If you are a fan of Cafe Rio, you will love this. A while back I found a recipe for a copy cat version of their famous pork barbacoa salad with creamy tomatillo dressing. Yesterday I finally made it and all can say is...wow. Holy wow. Oh my. So yummy.

Pork Barbacoa
3 lb pork roast
3 cans Coke or Dr. Pepper
2 C brown sugar
1 (12 oz) jar Victoria's Mild Red Taco Sauce
2 tsp cumin

In a slow cooker, cook roast in 2 cans of soda on low for 6 hours. Flip roast half way through to ensure even cooking in liquid. This can also be cooked in the oven at about 200 degrees. Make sure you cover it in the oven and take it out when it internally reaches about 150 degrees.

Drain off liquid and shred pork. In a pot, combine the 3rd can of soda, sugar, taco sauce, and cumin. Add the pork and simmer on low for about two hours.

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
1 C buttermilk
1 C mayonaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
1 package buttermilk ranch dressing mix
4 tomatillos, leafs removed and chopped
1 jalepeno, seeds removed
2 tsp lime juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 bunch cilantro

Combine all ingediants in a blender and puree.

Serve pork and dressing with tortillas, rice, pineapple, lettuce, tomatoes, lime, avacados, black or pinto beans, corn chips, feta cheese, or whatever your heart desires!!!

No comments: