"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lava Hot Springs- Day 2

 We tried to sleep in a little, but the cousins being super early risers didn't let that happen.  Lance and Carson were up early to go play tennis and their other boys came knocking on our door a little after 7:00.  I wasn't too happy about that!  We had cold cereal for breakfast out on the picnic table, lazied around and played for a bot, then got ready to spend the day at the Olympic pool.  They opened at 11:00 and we tried to get there at that time.  The place was already starting to fill up fast, but we got a good spot to set up camp.

 Carson and Ethan spent the majority of the day going off the platforms and doing the thrill slides.  I went off the lowest platform with them a few times.  I am deathly afraid of heights, unless there is water beneath me to jump into.  Them it's just game on.  Some of my favorite memories of family vacations during my growing up years include lakes and cliffs to jump from.  I would have done the higher platforms, but my old body doesn't like the impact as much as it did when I was younger.  And the last time I went off I hit with my eyes partially open and it stung like crazy.  I figured that was a good time to call it quits. 

 Grandma, Grandpa and even Aunt Kara showed up about an hour after we did.  Kara stayed under the shade umbrella the whole time, which I can only imagine was pretty miserable, but she was a really good sport.  She was able to help watch Preslee so Courtnee could swim for a while.

Poor McKay got stung by a bee in the morning and had a pretty rough day.  He ended up taking a really long nap on the grass.

 Uncle Lance is a total clown and the kids had a blast tackling him in the pool.

 Cameron and Bree and kids showed up a while after lunch and we all stayed at the pool until after 5:30.  We had some SUPER tired and sun beaten kids at the end of the day.

 We headed the three blocks back up to the houses, cleaned up, and Courtnee made a fantastic taco soup for dinner.  Afterwards we walked to the park (which was a block away and was awesome for wearing kids out right before bed) and had a marshmallow war with guns that Lance had made for everyone.  I think we all ate our weight in miniature marshmallows, and the way we all had white powder around out mouths and noses, you'd think we'd all been snorting coke. 

Trying to escape while everyone was distracted playing the game.

Woops!  Grandma caught me!

Unfortunately for me, while we were at the pool I noticed that my nose, eyes, and throat were really bothering me.  Normally my allergies don't hit full force until mid-late August, but I looked around at the mountains and realized that we were in prime sagebrush country.  I think I am more allergic to sagebrush than anything else, and by evening I was dying.  Claritin and Benadryl together were only scratching the surface of my problem.  My allergy attack lasted the entire weekend and it made things pretty miserable at times.

No comments: