"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Triathlon Training & My Play List

 When I was in my late teens and even in my [very] early twenties, I considered myself to be an active and healthy person who was in great physical shape.  I life guarded for several years and competed in lifeguard competitions.  I swam every day and spent a lot of time at the gym.  Aside from looking good, I felt good.  My muscles and bones were strong and my lung capacity was impressive.

And then babies started coming at age 23 and my physical health got put on the back burner a lot of the time.  For ten years I have tried to exercise and stay on top of my game, but with five kids and a very busy household, it's nearly impossible a lot of the time.

Or at least that was the excuse I used for years.

The Bountiful Triathlon has been a goal of mine for years.  I think Lauren was a baby when I first saw it advertised and every August I have wanted to attempt it.  But pregnancy and breastfeeding and taking care of babies has interfered with a lot over the years, especially anything in the category of training for a triathlon.  But early in the spring of this year, I thought to myself that my youngest baby was about to turn two years old.  My body was finally my own again.  For the first time in many years I was getting adequate sleep and life in general seemed a little less demanding in certain ways.  At least my childbearing days were behind me!

In April I set out to start training for this goal.  It was a goal that terrified be beyond belief, but it was a goal that I'd had for a long time.  I started small by going to the gym three days a week to run and weight train.  Running has always been an obstacle for me, but I began with one mile at a time.  And then I added time and distance and over the course of several weeks my mileage and stamina increased dramatically.  Four months later it's hard to believe that I was such a poor runner in the beginning.  I have grown to CRAVE running.  I think I"m addicted to it.  It's no longer scary to me, but something that I really look forward to every day.

In the beginning cycling was a bit of a challenge because I just wasn't used to it.  But like running, a few weeks and several LONG rides went by and before I knew it, cycling was really exhilarating!!  I have been training on my mountain bike because it's all I have.  For the race, however, I need a road bike so I am renting a really good one from a local bike shop.  I have a huge advantage because I have been training for months on a mountain bike, which is more difficult to pedal and accelerate on pavement.  So when I cross over to the road bike this weekend, I'm told I should be able to ride really fast and really well.  I hope that plays out!

The swimming portion is just fun for me.  I have been in water my whole life and swimming feels as natural as breathing to me (let's just hope I don't ever breathe under water...it's not THAT natural.)  I have spent many many swimming sessions at the gym and I feel very confidant in that area.  The swim isn't long at all- only 350 meters, which equates to 14 laps.  To some tht may seem like a lot, but I'm excited about it.

So the day of the bug race is this Saturday.  The gun goes off at 7:30 in the morning and I"m so grateful to my good friend Erin who has done this exact triathlon a couple of years ago.  She won't be racing, but she is picking me up very early that morning, loading my bike into her truck, and we're going up to teh race together.  She will walk me through everything and even warm up with me for a bit on the treadmill.  Cody and the kids will follow a couple of hours later, in time to get there for the swimming (and final) portion of the race.  I'm so thankful to Cody for being such a support in these months.  Training has taken up a lot of my time, but he has never complained or resented me for it.  Accomplishing this race is something that means a great deal to me.  When I finish, I am considering getting inked like this-
What'd ya think?  Yeah, it may not look as great across my stretch marked belly.  One thing that is kind of frustrating about my training is that I have seen no evidence that my body has changed.  I haven't lost weight and my pant size hasn't really gone down.  People around me say I look different, but I don't see it.  But the evidence that I DO see and feel is what's happened to my body from within.  I don't know that I have ever been in this great of shape, even at my peak at 19 or 20 years old.  I feel amazing and strong.  My body is super healthy and that's what matters!  Hopefully the rest will start to melt away as time goes on, as long as I keep up with it. 

I am sooooo excited about this race.  I've had to take sleeping pills this week because I am so excited and nervous and can't get my tired brain to shut off at night.  Music is possibly my biggest training motivator, and in the last four months I have changed my running/cycling playlist numerous times.  This week I have tweaked it to the exact songs I need and want to stay motivated and strong during the race.  I thought I'd share these songs with you.  Keep in mind that every song motivates the bajeezus out of me and all of them have very personal meaning.  So, even if a song seems silly to you...well.  I don't see YOU getting off your but to go run miles at a time, now do I.  But you SHOULD get off you butt and train like I have.  If I can do this, absolutely anyone can!!  Here is my playlist in no particular order-

We Will Rock You- Queen (my pace setter song)
I'm Gonna Be- The Proclaimers
Raise Your Glass- Pink
Starlight- Muse
Respect- Erasure
Babel- Mumford and Sons
Paparazzi- Lady Gaga
Bend and Break- Keane
Magic Dance- David Bowie
Princes of the Universe- Queen
Supermassive Black Hole- Muse
I'm Too Sexy- Right Said Fred
The Cave- Mumford and Sons
Danger Zone- Kenny Loggins
Rolling in the Deep- Adele
Love Story- Taylor Swift
Somewhere Only We Know- Keane
Poker Face- Lady Gaga
Human Touch- Springsteen
Gliserine- Bush
Always- Erasure
Poker Face- Lady Gaga
Move Along- All American Rejects
Set Fire to the Rain- Adele
Everybody's Changing- Keane
Uprising- Muse
Just Give Me a Reason- Pink
Freedom- George Michael
Hey Ho- The Lumineers
Demon- Imagine Dragons
Under Pressure- Queen and Bowie
Eye of the Tiger- Survivor
Little Lion Man- Mumford and Sons
God Blessed Texas- Little Texas
Beautiful Day- U2
Love is a Battlefield- Pat Benatar
Surrender- Cheap Trick
Edge of Glory- Lady Gaga
Stupid Girl- Garbage
I Will Wait- Mumford and Sons
Paradise- Coldplay
Born in the USA- Sprinsteen
Madness- Muse
Someone Like You- Adele
This I Promise You- Nsync
Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana

Saturday will be here before I know it!!! This may premature to say this, but if this race tomorrow doesn't kill me and if I enjoy it in the slightest, I plan on doing on next May (of the same caliber) and then on to the Spudman in Idaho at the end of July 2014.  The Spudman is an Olympic distance triathlon and it's a difficult one.  It's the goal and Cody said he'll buy me my OWN road bike if I get through this race and train for the ones next year.  Wish me luck!!


No comments: