"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Big Responsibility

I'm amazed at the person that Ethan is becoming. I'd like to say that it's because of good parenting, but the more I get to know him, the more I realize it's his spirit. He has always been an oddly good kid. Even as a baby he rarely cried and he's always had a sweet nature and compassionate side. His sisters adore him and most of the time, he adores them right back. I don't think you'll ever meet a more protective big brother.

But this evening as I was making dinner he hit his breaking point like happens to kids his age. I wouldn't let him do something he wanted to and he took it out on Hailey. He started getting into her business, "wrestling" with her, harassing her and finding joy in making her cry. I finally had to call Dad on his cell and have him talk some sense into his boy. Ethan got sent to time out and then all was well. Not a big deal, and honestly I forgot about it.

Tonight Cody had child duty while I got to sit and relax on the couch. Hailey had crashed on me and was sleeping with her head in my lap. Just before books and prayers, Ethan came out and had a serious look on his face and said "Mom, I'm so sorry I was mean to Hailey tonight....I don't know why I did it...I love her so much...." He had tears in his eyes and he leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. I was very touched, but figured Cody had prompted him to say it.

I went on to explain to Ethan that his sisters love him like crazy and it makes them very sad when he's mean to them. I told him about his responsibility of being a big brother and what that entails. It's a lot to ask of a little boy, but it's important that he understands it. He is so tender hearted and kept saying "Mom, I just love her so much and I'm so sorry I was mean."

After they were in bed, Cody and I were talking and I asked him if he had prompted Ethan to come apologize. He assured me that he hadn't even mentioned it to him. And honestly I'm not surprised. It is in Ethan's nature to be like that. So kind, loving, and accepting of everyone he meets. He has a genuine love for people. Our kids are blessed to have him as a big brother. I hope that he will always be like this and that the bond between him and his siblings will only continue to grow. He is such a special person and I think he's meant for great things in life.

2 comments:

Jylaire said...

What a sweet little guy! It has to just make your heart grow a little when you see them turn into these special little people!

Ute Family said...

That is the sweetest story. I can totally see him doing that. He was always so kind when I taught him in nursery!