"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ethan's Class Birthday Party

I had the pleasure of being the class mom on Ethan's actual birthday. When it's a kid's birthday the teacher gives them the assignment to make a poster about themselves to share with the class. Of course this is something the parents likely do most of. Last year I pretty much made Ethan's whole poster and it was very artsy fartsy- not anything like a four year old would have done.

This year Ethan insisted on doing most of it himself. He picked which pictures to put on it and he wrote all of the words. Hailey even helped scribble a little! Then he presented it all by himself. He got a huge kick out of talking about each picture, telling who his favorite action heroes were, all of his favorite things, etc. When he was done he answered all the kids' questions. As I sat and watched him do his presentation, I got a strange feeling. It was the first time in five years that I saw him as an individual, completely independent from me. Here he was a functioning person with out any help from Mommy. You should have seen him so proud of himself! He is so grown up and I feel like I blinked and the last five years flew by. SLOW DOWN!!!

I made cupcakes and Ethan got to wear the special "birthday hat" and Hailey got to tag along too. We had a wonderful afternoon!

No comments: