"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dad's Mission

One Sunday afternoon in July the subject of Cody's mission came up. Cody pulled out his great big mission photo album and showed it to the kids. They thought it was "so funny" and "so cool" to see Dad as a much younger person. They thought it was weird looking at him without any wiskers on his face. Ethan ran and got his globe so they could see exactly where Santiago, Chile was. For days Ethan talked about Chile and how he thinks we should go visit there. I know Cody would love to take us there one day to visit his old mission stomping ground, and maybe one day that can happen. For now I love that our kids have a parent who served a mission and who likes to talk about it with them. Both of my parents were converts to the church, both joining in their late twenties, so I never had the experience of having a returned missionary as a parent. I hope and pray that Cody's example will light a fire within our kids and encourage them to serve missions too one day.






No comments: