"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

We had an amazingly fun and very impromptu cookout with some very old friends early in July. Way back in the day, Cody and I were in a college singles ward and we made great friends with some guys and girls, who just happened to branch off and marry one another. I married Cody, Lynnae married Cody's roommate Rich, Brandi married Erin, and Clark remained single. I loved Clark like a brother from our very first meeting and we were so sad when he moved away to Georgia for grad school, still single.

A fews years later, to our delight Clark moved back to attend med school at the U. A while later, he met the most fantastic girl named Jessica, and again to our delight they got married. Then they broke our hearts and moved away to Missouri so Clark could do his OB/GYN residency. The times they have come back to visit have been a HUGE treat for us.

One evening in July Cody got a call from Clark saying they were in town and they would love to see us. Cody invited them and their three kids over for a BBQ the next night. Well I imediately got on the phone and sent texts to Brandi and Lynnae, explaing that it was terribly short notice but that Clark and Jess were in town and were coming for dinner and that hopefully they could make it. We all live in different parts of town and can't get together that often, so I knew it was a very long shot. Plus Rich is in med school and Erin works crazy hours so I didn't get my hopes up.

Well, to my surprise AGAIN the next night we had eight adults and fourteen kids occupying our backyard! Everyone was able to make it, nothing short of an act of God. We had such a fun time and I think we could have sat around and talked late into the night. But alas, everyone had tired kids that needed to go to bed. Sadly I didn't get many pictures because I was so busy visiting. But I'm glad I got this beautiful one of Jess stuffing her face! I can't wait to be able to get together like this again. Unfortunately Clark is now a fully employed OB/GYN in Missouri and we won't be seeing much of them, but we'll take what we can get!

No comments: