"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Ballet

The girls and I had another Mommy/Daughter date to the U of U ballet. A couple of weeks before, we were at ballet and there was a big poster advertising the U's production of "The Nutcracker". I had just been saying to Cody that I'd love to take the girls to Ballet West, but it was so pricey and I didn't want to spend that kind of money on such young girls who may or may not enjoy it. So when I saw that the U was doing the same ballet and that tickets were only $15 a piece, I was excited! So we planned a date and I even sent the word out to some friends with young girls telling them about this deal I'd discovered.

The girls and I went to lunch at Red Butte Cafe near campus, and then raced over to the Marriott Center for Dance to see the show. To make a long story short, it was a horrible disappointment. It was NOTHING like the normal and traditional production which I had in mind. It's like they took some weird modern dance and combined it with a wicked bad dream and added the title of "Nutcracker" to it. The girls (and I) were so confused as we watched, and our friends who went even thought maybe we were at the wrong show! That's how weird and different it was. I guess all in all it only matters that the girls and I had a fun time together. Next time I will use more caution when taking the girls to see another show!


No comments: