"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

An Idaho Weekend

The Snake River right outside the mineral pool.
 We decided to go up to Idaho this past weekend for Grandpa's birthday.  Cody took off Friday and Monday so we got to spend a long relaxing weekend up there.  Ever since all that junk started with Liam two weeks ago, I have done nothing but cry and haven't been able to sleep.  Getting away was a nice reprieve from all of that.  I never once stopped thinking about it and I had my laptop and phone close at hand to check for updates and talk to Carli, but the getaway was a nice distraction.

We got up to Jane and Allan's close to midnight on Thursday.  Then we slept in on Friday (which we NEVER EVER get to do) and then we packed up and headed out to Hagerman to swim in one of the hot pools.  That area of Idaho sits right on volcanic earth and there are many naturally occuring hot pools.  Our favorite is 1,000 Springs located directly on the beautiful Snake River.  The pool is indoors and from the looks of it, you'd never know it was a mineral pool because it looks just like an ordinary swimming pool.  But it feels like an amazing bubble bath.  We had the place almost to ourselves and it was the most deserted I'd ever seen it. 





Lauren being super frearless out in the middle of the pool.


 We're in major trouble with our water loving, fearless kids.  They all got my crazy water loving genes and none of them have ever been scared or even respectful of the water.  Devin is only three and thinks he can swim all on his own.  And I had to go in and save Garrett twice when he was with out his floaties.  Good thing I was watching him closely both times!!

Look at that makeup-less mama.  I don't know if it's confidence or laziness that has me going naked more and more these days.  Probably a combination of the two.  I apologize to any bystanders who may get spooked!!
 Later that day the kids spent the afternoon playing board games and wrasslin' with Grandpa.  Then in the evening we took him out for a birthday dinner at the River Rock Grill.



 Saturday was spent doing a whole bunch of nothing.  Cody and I spent the day in a fight for inconsequential reasons (having to do with me being hyper-emotional...ha ha ha.)  The kids played outside all day and had terrible windburns on their faces as a result.  I have said it a million times and I'll say it again.  Idaho is beautiful in it's own way, but I don't think I could ever live there because of the dad-gum WIND!!!  It's windy as all get out all year long.  And I'm not talking an occasional breeze, but rather a crazy handicapping wind that's just plain miserable.  Foreigners complain about Houston being so hot and humid, but I'd take that over Idaho winds any day.  The kids spent most of the weekend looking like street rats because of what the wind had done to them. 

Saturday night we had birthday pie.  Not cake, but pie.  And Grandpa was being a poop and wouldn't let us put a candle in his strawberry pie, so Cody got a plastic cup and stuck a candle in it so the kids weren't disappointed. 


Love the funny ways I find them sleeping. 
 Sunday was spent doing a whole bunch of nothing again.  The kids had fun chasing Brian the goat (isn't that a great name for a goat?) We tried to have a hotdog roast for lunch, but again, the wind.  It was possibly the windiest I've ever experienced southern Idaho!  But the kids didn't care and were for the most part, oblivious to the winds.  That's good for them! 










No comments: