"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Garrett Turns Two- Part I

Last night I cried before bed.  I always get nostalgic when my kids have a birthday, but the older Garrett gets, the more I try to protest.  There's something about my youngest and last baby growing up that does not sit well with me.  We've never had a two year old and NOT had a newborn baby (or with the case of Lauren and Devin, Lauren turned two a couple of weeks before Devin was born...and the "big" gap between them is thanks to a miscarriage).  This is a strange phase for us, especially me.  I think Cody is basking in the newfound freedom of graduating from the baby phase- I on the other hand, would live in the baby phase for a lot longer if I had a choice. 

It's hard to believe that exactly two years ago I was lying on the couch after a long day of activities.  The kids went next door to Michelle's house because i felt terrible and Cody was at the laundry mat (he lived there while our basement was being finished and our washer/dryer was un-hooked).  I was watching a show on PBS when I felt a "pop" and then a gush of warmth.  I can't believe that it was two years ago that we raced to the hospital as a blizzard was blowing in.  A few hours later we welcomed the last member of our family- Baby Gadianton as we had lovingly called him up to that point.  He wasn't officially named Garrett Allan until we were being discharged from the hospital five days later!

This morning he slept extra late, not waking up until 9:30.  Cody called from work to wish him a happy birthday and I had to go in and gently wake him up.  I put the phone on speaker and Daddy's "amazing" singing voice is what made Garrett smile as he slowly awakened.  Then I made waffles and eggs for breakfast and the kids ate outside on the deck.  It's kind of nice that the kids are out of school because they got to spend the day enjoying birthday festivities.  One thing we do right is birthdays.  If you're in this family, you are treated like royalty on your birthday!!

Later on we grabbed lunch from Wendy's and headed to Graduation Park for a picnic.  It's actually called North Canyon Park, but since the kids always had their preschool graduations there, it's what they call it.  We couldn't have had better weather today!  The park was a little busy because it's the school district's spring break, but it wasn't too bad.  I sometimes feel like a stalker the way I follow the kids around and always have a camera in their faces.  But I've done this since birth, so maybe that's why they seem to be naturally photogenic.  I don't think it's that- I think they are just trained.














Rolling down hills





Teaching Garrett to be a "ninja"



Ethan got in big trouble for this move because when he dragged her, it ripped a giant hole in the back of her shirt.  He had to pay me $10 of his own money when we got home.


All together it was a pretty great afternoon.  Garrett got whiney toward the end because it was nap time, and Hailey got furious at me because she wanted to go play in a woodsy area that looked like the perfect breeding ground for snakes.  We tried to fly a kite, but there wasn't quite enough wind to keep it up for long.  And Lauren found a beaded bracelet in the volleyball court and I made her promise that she would put it back there before we left (in case the person who lost it came back to look for it).  She assured me that she left it when we headed out, but I later found it at home.  HUGE trouble for lying to me.

No comments: