"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, May 24, 2010

On Turning 30

On May 15th at 9:14 p.m. (central time of course) I turned thirty years old. A lot of people have asked me if turning thirty would be hard. And in all honestly, I've been able to answer them with a big fat "No". Perhaps hitting this milestone would have been hard if I hadn't done as much in my twenties as I did. I met my husband, went to college, got married, bought a house, had four beautiful babies... They may not sound like big accomplishments to some, but I am very content with the things I've done up to this point in my life. No, I have not made huge strides to improve humanity, but I feel I'm leaving my mark. At least with children anyway. And becoming a mom is by far the biggest accomplishment I've ever done.

This year we celebrated with our (not so little and ever growing) family. The kids have been begging me for months to go to Chuck-E-Cheese. Ugh. Not on my list of favorite things to do. We have never been there as a family and I promised a few weeks ago that we could go for the next birthday someone in our family had. I didn't realize that the next birthday would be...mine! And my thirtieth on top of that. But I agreed to spend my big day at the place "where a kid can be a kid". We did have a fun time, even though Dad was feeling under the weather.

I got very spoiled by my wonderful family. I know I have said this a lot, but I have an amazing husband. He is so thoughtful and really puts his heart into things. He took the kids shopping earlier in the week (pretty much a repeat of Mother's Day) and they each picked out presents for their mama. Again, I loved each one dearly!

Hailey got me a dolphin bank, Hello Kitty lip gloss, Hello Kitty wipes, a squishy ball, and foming hand soap.

Lauren got me a fishy bank, a Caboodles box, lip gloss, and more lip gloss.

"Devin" got me two of my favorite movies on DVD- "Sherlock Holmes" and "The Blind Side".

Ethan picked out a really cool blouse that I will be able to wear once my giant nursing boobs shrink down. Everything is way too tight across the boobage area these days. I love that he picked it out himself and that it is my style!

And last but not least, Dad got me two DVDs as well. "Raising Arizona" (which we watched that night after kids were in bed and cried from laughter) and my all time favorite "The Princess Bride" (never before owned a DVD copy). And his big gift was a new video camera. Our old one died just a few weeks after Devin was born so we have very little video of him and anything since November. The camera he picked out is super bice and I have had a blast recording anything and everything!

I feel so blessed and so excited in this, my thirty first year of life. And Mom, thanks for going over your due date and suffering through almost a whole day of [natural] childbirth to get me here. I know that eight pounds and five ounces wasn't the easiest thing to expell from your body. I love you!!!