"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, October 3, 2011

Half Birthday and Solids

Six months? SIX MONTHS?! Where have these last six months gone? I am baffled that the first half our our last baby's first year is over. Did you catch all that? On General Conference Sunday I was sitting there feeding my precious guy and it occured to me that exactly six months before on General Conference weekend in April, my water broke and Garrett was born in the wee hours on Sunday morning. And here I sat, nursing my smiley and oh so delicious boy who is growing further and further away from being my tiny baby who loves to snuggle with me.

Two momentous occasions took place. First being, the ceremonial half birthday cupcake. Yes it's kind of silly, but we have celebrated each of our babies' first half birthdays. At that age they don't know what to think of the hulabaloo. The flame of the candle holds their interest for a few seconds and then they start to look around. No grabbing for the cake or anything like it. Just wonder. And we always give them a tiny taste of the treat set before them. This time it was a Hostess chocolate cupcake and he tasted a very small piece of icing. Nope, not a fan...yet. He made a horrible grimace and tried to spit ot back out.



And with the half birthday comes the first solid food. Garrett's appetite is very ready for more than just milk, but he still greatly prefers milk to anything else. And he greatly prefers mommy's skin in his mouth to anything else. I must say that it fills me with pride when my babies want me and only me. I love that I am the only one who can make them happy and give them what they need. He had mushed up fresh banana as his first meal, but in reality that meal consisted of only a few spoonfuls of the stuff. He seemed to like it okay, but wasn't sure what to do with it once it hit his tongue. Mighty strange texture compared to what normally goes in there. But we'll keep trying. He's got a lifetime ahead of him to eat real food, so for now we are in no rush to get him there...yet.











No comments: