"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Evelyn's House

Evelyn bought this sign for me at the Texas store in the mall. The homesick girl in me wants to hang it on the front door, but I dare not.

On Thursday (8-14) the kids and I made the two hour trip down south to see my sister, Evelyn. They bought a house last summer but this is the first time I'd gotten to see it. In fact, I had only seen Evelyn in her own element (that is as a wife and mom in her own home) once before and that was only for a day when Lilly was a toddler. We always seem to only get together when we are at our parents house because it is a central location.

I was a little apprehensive about the weekend stay at her house. She and I have always been polar opposites and we have our stories of fights and bruises. Evelyn's husband is in the Army and is deployed to Iraq right now so it was like a huge slumber party. Poor Ethan was the only boy!

The weekend was so much fun and it was great getting to interact with my sister mom to mom. I really like her house and her...CABLE TV!! Cody and I are not TV watchers and only have one half functioning TV in our house. We don't have cable, and I don't see us ever getting it in the future. But Evelyn has several TVs in her house, including a nice big flat screen in the living room and a good one in her bedroom. They also have a million cable channels and I was an instant addict. She gave me her bed and she slept in the living room to supervise the slumber party each night. I stayed up very late each night because I was mesmerized by all the programs on TV. I am so glad we don't have that luxury because I would never get any house work done and my family would starve!

On Friday we went to the mall and had lunch. Then we window shopped and bought a few things. My favorite store was the Texas store. There is one of those in most malls and it never gets old.



Looking at crabs in a trinket store.
Lauren got her first ever pair of shoes!
In the Texas store.

Eating her Texas shaped sucker. Yummy!
Ethan is always squished by all those girls!
When we got home from the mall the kids wanted to play in the pool. Hailey was accidentally sprayed and got so prissy about it. She refused to go back outside and she missed the rest of the fun.
Again, sandwiched between the girls. Lilly and Kaylan love him and Alyssa says she wants to marry him. Eeeww gross!
Squished between the girls again. Can you say too much estrogen?

Funny story while we were at the mall. Ev was standing in line (forever) to get the kids some cookies. A super rude guy blatantly cuts in front of her and she stood there like "did he really just do that??" Other people in line were bugged too. The guy was terrible and gets up to the front and starts a massive order while his wife is standing there nagging him to death. The two are arguing in front of everyone.

Ev says something to the guy and he just glances over his shoulder and doesn't say anything. She stands there for another minute in disgust, then she couldn't hold it in anymore and she called him a foul name and storms off. Fast forward to church two days later. Ev and I are sitting in Sacrament Meeting and you would never guess who is sitting right in front of us. Rude guy, Rude guy's wife, and Rude Guy's four kids!! What a small world we live in, considering this is not Utah so randomly bumping into other church members is odd. Needless to say things will likely be awkward when they see each other at church from here on out.

4 comments:

Ute Family said...

I was wondering when your next update would be. And it looks like you've been busy. And YES, I would love to see that sign on your door! That would be awesome :)

Gina said...

Looks like you are having such a blast! I am so glad. I laughed out loud about the rude guy story. Yeah, church is going to be just a little awkward now!

Mandy said...

Ok, I love that sign. I think you should totally hang it on your door!

Audrey said...

I love Lauren's new shoes!! They are adorable!