"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, August 29, 2008

Schlitterbahn

On Saturday morning (8-16) we got up early and drove down to New Braunfels to meet the rest of the family at Schlitterbahn...the most magical place on earth! To me it beats anything Disney hands down. We have been going to Schlitterbahn every summer for almost 25 years now. My brother Matthew wasn't able to go because he had to work. But Jason and Jared Smith, old friends of ours, met us there and it was fun catching up with them. It was a great day, although I spent a large amount of time babysitting kids but that was okay. Ethan was old enough this time that he could enjoy the big rides with the big kids! He couldn't get enough of the fast tube chutes.

I slapped Uncle Joseph with a mustard sandwich!

Kaylan, Hailey, Lauren and I spent a lot of time in the morning playing in the kiddie pools. Lauren is a fish and she thinks she can swim so she kept crawling out into the deep water.






At about 4:00 the moms and kids headed over to a GREAT BIG children's pool full of slides and fun things to climb on. The air got chilly and clouds rolled in. Within half an hour sheets of rain came pouring down!!! To make a long story short, the day came to a stop right there and the fun was over. Then the chaos began as 10,000 people tried to frantically funnel through one exit at the front. I can not believe we did not lose any children.

All of our belongings got soaked down at our table, even diapers. Luckily my dad had all of our electronics locked up in a water safe box, but the kids had nothing dry to put on their bottoms. So I ended up spending $16 on four swim diapers in the gift shop. They were so expensive that I felt I should bronze them, not let them serve as poop catchers!

It was such a bummer that our day was cut short. It's always been tradition that we stay the whole time until closing, and by 6:00 the place clears out a lot so we spend the next two hours riding rides over and over because the lines are short. But not this trip! Dang it. We finally made it to the cars and back to Evelyn's house by 10:00. We were so exhausted that we hit our pillows and that was it!

9 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

sorry about the rain, but it looks like you had a fun time. You will always remember that trip.

Heather Jones said...

It looks like you guys are having a blast I so wish I could go on a month vacation. I dare you to hang that sign up!!

Audrey said...

I have to say, I've met a handful of Texans, and there are a few common threads:

They all think Texas is the most important state in the US.

The think that Blue Bell ice cream is better than any other (although I didn't think it tasted any different than Dreyers'.)

If you mention that Blue Bell ice cream tastes the same as Dreyers', a Texan will just claim that you don't have as sensitive a taste pallet as they do.

And finally, they have this secret code. Anyone who finds another person from Texas will have this conversation, "Do you like Schlitterbahn?" "Yes, I love Schlitterbahn!" But, no one will ever say WHAT Schlitterbahn is! A holiday? A restaurant? A mall?

Finally my best friend (who is currently living in Katy) told me that Schlitterbahn is a water park.

Thanks for the descriptive pics, and sorry that your day got cut short! We miss you guys!

Ute Family said...

Ok, I have to go to this place. Didn't you say there was one in KS or was that just a hopeful dream? Anyway, I WILL make it there one way or another! Glad you had fun for the short amount of time you were there!

Ute Family said...

Ok, you may not care, but I just looked it up and Schlitterbahn opens in Kansas City in September 2008 I believe! Yeah! Now I can experience this place that you call so magical! So I will be going there within the next year. We go to KS on Sept 17th-24th so I could go, but if not, definately next summer. Thank you for opening my eyes to such greatness :)

Bel said...

I can't believe you blog so much and you are on vacation! You need to enjoy and stop blogging plus you make me look like a idiot for not blogging even though I am home!!!! Anyhow, when you coming home?? We miss you, forget about Texas, haha!

Gabbers said...

i am so happy you are home. can't wait to see you next sunday... your pictures are so fun to look at. what a fun trip...

Miles and Bex said...

That sucks about the rain but at least you had a good portion of the day sunny. Sounds like your vacation has been a lot of fun.

Mike, Jules, Gabee and Izee said...

your pictures are so fun to look at... So jealous you have been travelling for one month!! I have missed you on Sundays, and can't wait to get back into the swing of things (smile)...

Love the pics