"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, August 11, 2008

Galveston

After NASA we drove down to Galveston, which is only a few miles down the road. I haven't been to the beach since March 1999! It was way over due. We stopped for yummy Mexican food then we found a room for the night. It's amazing how expensive it is in tourist towns like that.

I still get butterflies in my stomach when we pass over the giant bridge that takes you over the bay. I love to look out and see all the boats and water front homes. And then it drops you right into the heart of Galveston, which is right on the beach! On Saturday morning we got up early and hit the beach before it got crowded or too hot.

Lauren was content to play in the sand. This was surely unlike anything she'd ever touched or seen! She didn't know what to think of it. I did at one point take her out to the water and dip her toes in it.

Ethan and Hailey were in awe when they saw it because it was unlike anything they'd ever seen. They were a little apprehensive about the water, but when Granana showed them the fun of jumping waves they were having a blast!
This crazy old man refused to put on bathing suit, so he sweltered in the heat. He wasn't feeling well on the trip so I'm sure that's why he didn't want to swim. Even though he didn't feel well, he was a good sport about everything.

Around 11:00 we packed everything up and headed back to our room to shower and check out. Then it was back to Houston.

7 comments:

Chambers Clan said...

Oh, Veronica! I wish I could come with you. How I miss Texas. I have to agree with the "Can't go home again" sentiments. I would love to show Dave my hometown and spots, but I realize that many of them are probably torn down or renovated etc. I remember visiting the NASA center too. I miss Galveston and the fun ward campouts. I hope your kids are enjoying it as much as you are:)

Joey and Nettifer said...

Oh the beach! How nice and lovely. Love all the colorful umbrella's in the background. You are having a fun trip.

Ute Family said...

When you said that you had a jam packed trip, you weren't joking. What a fun time you are having. You took some cute beach pics. Glad you're having lots of fun for all of us stuck at home!

Sabrina said...

Cute pics! Looks like you all had alot of fun!

Miles and Bex said...

Looks like you are having lots of fun. I am glad you were able to get home! I am sorry we weren't able to see you. We seriously had such little time in Utah because we sent to California. Next time we come we will get together.

Staci said...

oh you reminded me that i forgot to write 'lake tahoe' in the sand! darn it. we went for the last time yesterday. maybe i could take F next week while the kids are in school. looks like you had a great time!

Jeremy said...

Your family looks amazing. Cody this is your favorite companero Jeremy Pixton. I am officially writing my first comment on a blog. I was looking through my wives friends and saw your name under someone's blog list don't ask me who now because I jumped around so much. I am officially a blog stalker now. Just watching the olympic basketball finals jumping around looking at blogs. I am obviously pathetic but I'm o.k. with that. Send me an email and lets catch up. pixtonian@yahoo.com