"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, May 18, 2009

A Decade Draws To A Close

I turned 29 on Friday. And I didn't mind. Ask my parents and they'll tell you I've always been in a hurry to grow up and get to that next phase in life. This year proves to be no different and I don't mind that my twenties are almost over. I look forward to my thirties. Maybe because it sounds more grown up. Maybe because I'll take myself a little more seriously. Maybe because I'll feel like I'm no longer just trying on my mom's high heels that are ten sizes too big. Maybe I'll fit my own high heels. I have a great life and no real regrets to speak of. I've accomplished a ton during this decade and I have much to show for it. Maybe that's why getting a tad older doesn't bug me at all.

This birthday was nice and I was treated very well. I spoiled myself by staying in bed until 10:00. I had all the kids piled in bed with me while we watched cartoons, but none of us were in a hurry to start our day. Then it was the usual grind of housework, making meals, cleaning up meals that wouldn't get eaten, Primary business, and best of all tinkering some more with my camera. Wow, I've got a lot to learn. The manual is huge! It was a beautiful day and spent a lot of it outside in the sunshine. I love May!

Cody came home that night with a huge bouquet of roses, a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake, and best of all...5 Guys Burgers. Mmmmmm, I think they are the best burgers in the world. It was great spending a relaxing evening at home with a great husband and kids that I love more than life (even if they are so naughty).

But things didn't stop on Friday! On Saturday I went to lunch at Cafe Rio with my good friends Katie and Jules. Hailey tagged along for that outing and I think she loved the solo attention from mom. She was one of the big girls! I have some great friends and I adore them. To make things even better, Katie and her awesome hubby Jay came over to sit with the kids that night so Cody and I could have a REAL date. Our kids think the Szymanskis hung the moon so they had a blast together while Mom and Dad got out of the house.

We went to our "old" theatre out in our old stomping ground that we always went to while dating. I don't think we've been back to that theatre together since I was pregnant with Ethan. We saw "Wolverine" and I don't think I breathed during the whole thing. It was a GREAT movie!! It varied quite a bit from the comic book story line, but it was still awesome and very well done. What a terrific night! I don't think I could have asked for a better birthday weekend.






2 comments:

Audrey said...

That cake looks divine! Happy Birthday, Veronica!

Julie said...

Happy birthday!

Julie