"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mothers Day

Happy Mothers Day, Mom!! I love you so much. Thanks for birthin' me and everything. I was actually due to be born on Mothers Day in 1980. My crazy mom still went to church that day and if I remember the story right, the only thing she could fit her fat feet into was a pair of house shoes. She was pretty miserable all during church. I didn't make my appearance until four days later on the 15th. I wanted to wait a few extra days to make sure my birthday would never fall on Mothers Day. It never will!

I had a really great day this year. Cody is learning and over time he becomes less and less of a guy...but in a good way. He seems to becoming more in tune with my feelings and needs a little more. He's getting wiser with age! My own dad needs to take a lesson or two from him. My dad is still the ultimate Neanderthal in some ways. Sorry, Mom.

I got to stay in bed until 9:15 Sunday morning. That's pretty late for me! When I finally got out of bed I had the most beautiful tulips waiting for me on the kitchen table. The kids gave me the sweetest cards (courtesy of Dad's help) and they picked out some very cute figurines. One day I'd love to have a curio cabinet of sorts to display stuff like that in. They also gave me chocolate dipped strawberries from Mrs. Cavanaugh's. The suckers were as big as my fist!

Cody gave me a card that was the most heart felt and sincere thing he'd ever given me. I just cried as I read it! Inside the card was a folded piece of paper. When I opened it up was very confused. It was the purchase order for a camera. Not just any camera, the new Nikon D5000. When I realized what it was I started shaking and bawling. I have been wanting a nice SLR for years and years. I've always been a huge photog nerd but a nice camera is a huge luxury and there are so many other things needing our financial attention. For weeks Cody has been picking my brain about cameras. But never in a million years did I think he had something like this planned. I was blown away because there's no chance we could afford this right now. But he assured me he'd been stashing money for a really long time, thinking really hard about it. This camera is one of the first SLRs to EVER take video also. It will be shipped and I'll have it in a couple of weeks hopefully. I still can't believe that my sweet husband had this planned for so long. He said he looks at as an an investment in our family and posterity. He is such a sweet heart.


Church was nice and the talks weren't over the top. Sometimes the talks make me feel very guilty as a mom. The Elders Quorum had arranged for all of the women in the ward to get to go to Relief Society so they ran Primary during the last hour. It's been so long since I went to Relief Society! Cody had a terrible cold all weekend and I felt bad that he was still up doing so much for me. We had steak and baked potatoes for dinner, along with salad, sauteed asparagus, and rolls. Then for dessert we had one of those giant chocolate cakes from Costco. I needed an insulin shot after eating a piece! Thank you Cody, for making Sunday wonderful for me. I don't need presents or anything fancy. Just having a day to make me feel special is plenty. Thanks for coming through for me!




I love you kids! Thank you for making me a mom, which is the best gift in the whole world.
I still can't believe this is my camera. I'm on cloud nine!!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

What a sweet fantastic hubby! Sounds like you had a really great day!

Audrey said...

I'm so excited for you to get your camera! I know you've been wanting an SLR for a long time, and you take such beautiful pictures with a point-and-shoot that I can't even imagine what you're going to do with your new beauty!!

Congratulations, again!

Ute Family said...

What a sweet Mother's day you had. We all deserve those don't we ;)? I'm so excited for your new family purchase. I love taking pictures. I'm jelous.
Hey, thanks again for all the notes and emails. It really means a lot. And we ate your dinner tonight and it was freaking delicious. The ckn was so tender and the sauce was so yummy. So thank you so much for that. It definitely helped!

Margo said...

Wow what a fun mother's day you had. Love the new gift can't complaint about that. It looks way fancy. Way to go girl.

Jeanette said...

I hope you take lots and lots of photos of those adorable kiddos with your new camera. Way to go Cody.

Heather Jones said...

It looks like you had a great day!! Way for your hubby to
pick out a camara for you. I was debateing on a slr but decided it was too big and I already will struggle learning my easy one. That is sooo fun for you I am glad he surprised you.Plus your curbing looks great!!