"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Understand Completely

What a day. No, what a month for that matter. I understand how a person can beat their child, I really do. Not that it's okay, but I truly do get that anger driven impulse to snap a neck every now and then. I breathe, I chant to myself, I clench my fists, and I lock myself in another room. My children don't listen to me at all. They never ever do. Sometimes I think they hold secret meetings and plot ways to terrorize Mom. The way they are so in sync with each other; it's as if every naughty thing they do is pre-meditated. Their acts of terror are too well played to be coincidence.

I have been working in the yard a lot lately and this morning the kids were begging to play in the van. I HATE it when they play in the van. They flip lights on and the battery has been emptied many times as a result. not to mention the messes they make. So of course I told them NO!! I threatened them with everything I could think of that if they got in the car they would pay.

Several minutes go by and a couple of neighbors had stopped by to visit as I worked. The kids knew it was the perfect time to act. Suddenly I realized they were gone. I heard the van horn HONK!!! I saw Lauren's little head pop up from within the tinted windows. My blood began to boil. I went to rip open the sliding door, only to find that I couldn't open it. It wasn't locked, but rather the mechanism that controls the power on it was jammed. Money to fix that is going to be fun to come up with. So I went around to the other side and found that they had gotten into a box of unfrozen Otter Pops and were biting little holes in them with their teeth. Otter Pop juice now covered every surface of the car. Lauren was holding a DVD in her mouth. Why in the mouth?! After my rant I was surely expecting the cops to drive up because a neighbor would have called them. I was hysterical.

Fast forward to this afternoon. After picking Ethan up from school we headed to the Nursery where I've been dropping loads of money lately. I needed to get more compost and soil. The kids wandered through the place as I shopped, and for the most part they were good enough.

They love to touch everything, as all kids do. Every other word out of my mouth was "Put that down" or "Don't touch that". I got in a very long line and finally made it up to the front. The kids were standing about 50 feet away, touching and messing with everything. Very expensive lawn and garden decor was right at their eye level. I kept hollering at them to put things down! Of course, they looked at me and went right on disobeying. Ethan took several expensive pieces and was lining them up in the pavement.

After telling him several times to put them back (I didn't want to lose my place in line) I knew something was about to happen. Lauren looked at me, looked at the figurine, and then looked back at me. She deliberately knocked it over with a thrust of her hand. To make a long story short, I ended up paying almost $45 for this hideous thing that ended up in the garbage. I couldn't just sweep it away and pretend like my kids didn't break it. About 7 people saw it happen. So I kept my "cool" as much as I could, paid for it, loaded up my bags of dirt, and got in the car. Crazy mom emerged and I think the kids got scared into submission. It's only 5:00. There are still plenty of hours left for me to lose my mind with them before bedtime.

7 comments:

Lynnae said...

Oh, the joys of parenthood! Hang in there.

Audrey said...

It makes me feel better that someone else gets that angry with their kids! There have been several times when I've been sure the police were on their way to pick the kids up because I've been yelling at them all day long!

Julie said...

Mathieu is Lauren's age and he is *always* in a stroller when we are out. Ali has to keep her hand on the side of the stroller and the others follow. They are not allowed to touch anything. If they do, they have a consequence and they KNOW I will follow through with it.

People tell me how strict I am but they also tell me how well behaved my kids are. You cannot have one without the other, imo. So, I suggest you start laying down the law and keep with it. No exceptions. They need to learn that YOU are in charge, not them. They need to learn that now too. E-mail me if you want to talk more, alright?

Julie

Ev said...

Beat them. I ALWAYS keep the car locked-even when it's in the garage-because I know for a fact there's a secret kid society specifically for making moms across the world insane. My kids founded it. And when I'm in public with them, they NEVER leave my side. Mostly because I've successfully instilled a healthy fear of God into them. However, there are times when what I say is a joke to them. Routinely, actually. Mostly with Lilly. Anyone that thinks you're a terrible parent for feeling the way you do OBVIOUSLY has only one child or doesn't have typical kids. If it were up to me, I would've left which ever kid of mine that broke the thing at the nursery there to work off the debt. Kudos for not being me.

Miles and Bex said...

Sounds like it is time to put on a movie for the kiddos! Hope your day gets better.

Patti Cook said...

This post made me laugh! Kids are so wiley! Riley's big thing is poking me with kitchen utensils - especially knives. It really bugs me especially in the afternoon when I get so tired or when it is my preggo belly! So I showed him how it felt thinking he would get that it hurt - instead he loved it and giggled. Backfire!

Heather Jones said...

I am so happy for me not you that other people have these fun filled days!! It makes me feel normal to know I can get mad and it is ok. Wait till the fourth I tell you it never ends.