"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, November 23, 2009

Daddy Loves


There is nothing cuter to me than seeing Cody love on our new babies.

He never gets terribly involved during the pregnancy. He doesn't show a lot of interest in feeling my belly or anything like that. I honestly think part of it is fear. What if something goes wrong? A lot of what ifs. Plus he is a guy and he is visual. Most guys have to see something to feel anything for it.

But once our babies are born, Cody can't seem to let them go. The only perk to having a c-section is that Cody is always the first to hold the baby. That is special for him. And then when I'm all loopy from pain medication and still getting over the anesthesia, he sits in the room and loves on the baby while the nurses and staff tend to me. I love it that he has that time with the new one...all to himself.

He is a huge support to me. People tell me quite often how rare it is for a guy to be so hands on with his small children, especially infants. I think if Cody could breastfeed he would. Okay, not really. But he really loves to be a part of the new baby experience. Since Devin has been so difficult lately, Cody is always right there to help me out.

Last night I could not get Devin to quiet down and it was really late. Cody needed to get to bed, but instead he stayed up past midnight to help calm his baby boy. I sat on the couch and watched Cody cuddling with him, talking sweetly to him, all while walking the floor. He stays so calm and patient.

And yesterday morning when Devin and I had BOTH had a hard night, Cody held him almost all morning while I got much needed stuff done for Primary and got the rest of the family ready for church. I snapped that top picture right before I had to leave. Cody said he wished he could give him a bottle because he wanted to stay snuggled like that all day while the kids and I went to church. But since I'm the only one who can feed him, I took him with me. Cody then quickly got ready and met us there.

I have an amazing husband. I grow to appreciate him more and more everyday. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He is not at all perfect. But he's great and I don't think I could have found a better daddy for my children if I searched for one hundred years. I am blessed.








1 comment:

Life's a Dance said...

I love when Jed loves our kids. I think it is by far the best part of any day!