"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, November 23, 2009

Swaddled


What an enigma!! Figuring this kid out has been a real challenge. He gets so worked up and has a terrible time calming himself down, especially when his sisters are around to bother him.

The other night it was really late and Devin was SCREAMING. He was so worked up that he couldn't even eat. Cody suggested I swaddle him. It took me by surprise because Devin hated to be swaddled when he was brand new. In the hospital the nurses would always swaddle him before they handed him to me, and he would immediately protest.

But on this particular night I was completely out of gas and ideas, so I tried it. He squirmed for a few seconds, but then calmed down. It was amazing! I plugged a binky in his mouth and he was asleep in a couple of minutes. It has worked almost every time to calm him ever since. I've found the best way for him to take a nap during the day is to put the swing in our QUIET bedroom away from the kids, turn on the fan for white noise, plug his binky in, and swaddle him up nice and tight. It works!

What do you know- baby #4 and I'm still figuring things out. Each child is so different and what works for one doesn't always work for the others. I have to go back to the drawing board with every new baby.

Cody, you are a genius!


No comments: