"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An Incredible Phase

When I was seven months pregnant with Devin, I journaled about all the things I love about being pregnant. Granted most of pregnancy is very uncomfortable, but there are those things that seem almost magical, and it's those things that keep a woman going until the very end. As I sit here and think about only being in this moment for three more weeks, I am overcome with emotion. There is so much that I will miss...feelings that I can never have again. I want to remember exactly why I have done this five times and why it has been one of the most incredible phases of my life.

I will absolutely miss-

-How great my facial skin looks and feels.

-Getting a for sure positive pregnancy test and then seeing the itty bitty heart beat on the U/S screen for the first time.

-Eating whatever I want, whenever I want it with no questions asked. No one thinking twice when I say I need a juicy and thick hamburger NOW!! -

-The thought of Cody holding our new baby in his arms. He's just too cute with our babies.

-The constant kicks I feel when I lay down at night, and the ones I feel first thing in the morning.

-Knowing that I am the only person in the world that the baby needs or can depend on.

-How excited the other kids get when we talk about the new baby. They are so excited about meeting their new brother they can hardly stand it.

-Being able to assist God in creating such a miracle.

-That indescribable feeling when I'm certain I felt the baby move for the first time. It's like tiny little air bubbles floating around.

-Imagining the youngest child as an older sibling.

-Not feeling at all guilty when there is laundry to be done but I HAVE to lie down in the middle of the afternoon. (Okay, actually I always feel guilty about that one)

-The anticipation of finding out if we're adding a brother or a sister to the family.

-Sorting through tiny booties and socks in preparation for the baby's arrival.

-Shopping for the perfect going home outfit.

-When the kids insist that I lift up my shirt so they can kiss the baby.

-Listening to the kid's prayers when they ask God to bless the baby.

-Imagining what the baby will look like and who he will favor most. My side or Cody's side?

-Realizing that my body is working as hard as someone's who is climbing a mountain.

-Organizing all the little stuff that goes along with that baby. I love opening that first package of newborn diapers and being blown away at how small they are.

-This time around I love when I'm at the store by myself and someone asks me if this is my first baby. I then say "No, it's my fifth" and then I giggle to myself.

-Watching my belly grow and take shape. Even though I shoot out like a torpedo and everything goes kaput, I love how my body changes.

-Getting to see the little one on the U/S screen. It melts my heart each time!

-Hearing the perfect heart beat at each prenatal check up. It's music to my ears.

-Watching my belly as the baby pushes and rolls and wondering what body part he's poking me with.

-Feeling him hiccup.

-Agonizing over the perfect name.

-I love the rare instance when Cody actually gets to feel the baby move and how excited he gets. Our babies are notorious for hiding and being still when he tries to get a feel.

-Scheduling the last of my prenatal appointments because it means that we'll be having a baby very soon! And I just love having a new baby.

No comments: