"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Sad Ballerina

Hailey is a girly girl. We have always known that about her. She is all about accessorizing and looking good. Ever since she was two and a half years old she has loved to dance. She loves to twirl and leap and float around on her toes.

One of her favorite things to do is sit in my lap at the computer and watch ballet videos on YouTube. Not too long ago I searched for a "Nutcracker" scene. The scene started out with a female soloist fluttering around. Hailey was hypnotized. That is, until a man came on the scene. A scowl spread across her face and she said "What is a boy doing in the ballet class?" From then on, each time she saw a man dancing she got mad. "Boys are not allowed to do ballet!!"

She has been dying to start ballet classes and I made her wait until she turned four. Well upon her fourth birthday she reminded me of my promise. She began digging through her drawers to find some of her ballet clothes. Today I called about signing her up, but I was discouraged to do so in the middle of a term because they are getting ready for their huge recital in March. I instantly knew I would have a very sad girl on my hands. The next term starts in June and you can bet she will be the first one on the list.

The woman at the academy invited us to the recital next month, hoping maybe it would soothe Hailey's feelings. When I told her we could have a Mommy and Hailey date to see the show, she was mad because SHE would not be dancing in it. Oh boy. We already have quite the diva on our hands!




2 comments:

Audrey said...

Too funny! She is such a cute girl!!

Heather said...

Now that is one cute ballerina in the making!