"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Devin's Blessing Day

I have so much catching up to do on this blog, so please excuse me when you see posts out of order. I'm posting as I have time and motivation!

Devin was blessed on December 27th. I wish I could say that it was a wonderful day, but it was a really stressful one for me. We had originally planned on only inviting immediate family members. My parents, Cody's parents, and then our siblings and their families. But it didn't happen like that. Before I knew it we were inviting the traditional 45 people over!

Preparing for a baby blessing is always stressful for the mom. The house has to be clean, food prepared, everyone needs to be looking nice and you have to somehow keep the baby from puking on or pooping out of the white outfit. To make a long story short, twenty minutes before we had to leave for church, yes TWENTY MINUTES, right in the midst of getting a bunch of people ready and out the door, putting last minute touches on food, and trying to keep it all together in general, my phone starts ringing off the hook. Primary teacher after teacher started calling me to tell me they would not be at church. Why they see fit to wait until the LAST MINUTE to call me, and why they can not find their own sub, is beyond me. As if I don't have enough going on!!!! Argh. Okay, I've already vented and cried enough about it in the last month.

We ended up missing over half of our Primary and Nursery teachers that day. It was insane. Absolutely chaotic. And why of all days did it have to happen on Devin's blessing day?? That family shot is of us about two seconds away from walking out the door. I was fighting back tears big time. I ended up having to stay for the whole block to man the fort. I didn't get a chance to be in on my own baby's blessing get together. I finally got home right as everyone started leaving.

It was hard that day not to feel resentful toward my calling. But oh well. Cody gave a beautiful blessing and that is all that really matters. Devin has a wonderful family and the Lord has a lot of good things in store for him. He is an incredible blessing to us!










No comments: