"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Grocery Shopping

I normally do two fairly large grocery shopping trips each month. Yup, they always revolve around payday! We live breathe and die for the 1st and the 15th these days. And with a growing family.....sigh. Where is that money tree I've been meaning to plant?

Today I picked Hailey up from school and raced with the three younest to the grocery store. I had just enough time to pick up some things, run a couple more errands, race home to unload perishables, and go pick Ethan up at 3:30. While at the store, it dawned on me that I buy the exact same staples each time, and it's like I instincively know exactly where things are on the shelves and grab them without even looking. This is what I bought today, and this is what I always buy every two weeks. Produce and milk are always purchased in between big shopping trips. Of course there were other things purchased to fit particular recipes, and there are different things I buy in different weeks, but this is what I seem to buy without fail each time-

1 big bag of Malt o Meal's version of Frosted Mini Wheats and Cocoa Pebbles
4 cans each- sliced pineapple, sliced peaches, sliced pears
4 can cream of chicken soup
1 box taco shells
1 bag Santita white corn chips
3 1 lb boxes pasta (assorted shapes/styles)
3 jars spaghetti sauce
7 loaves of bread
6-8 apples
1 large package fajita size flour tortillas
10 lb bag russet potatoes
2 cans tuna fish
1 jar Smuckers strawberry jam (I eat it on everything these days!)
2 bunches bananas (that last three days tops)
4 gallons 2% milk (milk is bought more than twice a month)
36 count large eggs
12 Yoplait yogurts
2 large onions
1 bunch celery
1 lb babg baby carrots
bag of red seedless grapes
1 can refried beans
1 tub sour cream
2 8 oz block cream cheese
1 box saltine crackers
big box (18 ct) granola bars
2-3 lbs butter
1 bag "baby oranges" (seasonal of course)
1 "bear" of honey
1 loaf French bread
2 large packs chicken breasts (depending on the sale)

Wow, our family goes through a lot of food. It's amazing when I put it down in paper like this. And again, these are JUST the staples, and I didn't list any staples we get in bulk from Costco. Yikes!

No comments: