"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Grandma's Birthday Weekend

Last weekend we headed to Idaho for a relaxing few days to celebrate Grandma Jane's birthday.  We'd all been looking for to that visit since we left after Thanksgiving, but it almost didn't happen. On Tuesday of that week I found out that our giant shipment of Girl Scout cookies was to be delivered for us to pick up at 12:30 that Saturday!!  But luckily some of the moms came to my rescue and were able to pick them up and deliver them to our garage.  Whew!

Cody took Friday off of work with the hope that we could get an early start on the road as soon as kids got home.  But we ended up letting them play hookie that day any way.  I spent the morning over at the high school where the girls' ballet is being held and I worked on the set.  I am so excited for how it turned out!!  I got home, we ate lunch, packed up, and hit the road.

The weekend was fantastic.  That night Jane read the kids a new book she bought them, called "Skippy Jon Jones".  I swear she read it at least eight times that weekend and the kids laughed just as much each time!  Then we popped popcorn with their old-school air popper and the kids were enthalled with it.  Then we watched the original "Karate Kid" for family movie night and it was the kids' first time seeing it.  Such a classic!

On Saturday we had a girls' afternoon with Grandma.  We went to get manicures and pedicures at the mall, got smoothies, and did a little shopping.  It was a lot of fun just getting to hang out with the birthday girl all day (her actually birthday wasn't until the 28th, but we were pretending like it was that day!) 

That night we all went to the Rock Creek Grill for dinner...which is one of our favorite Twin Falls restaurants.  (I don't know Grandpa was for this picture...probably using the restroom.)  We sure love this lady!
The downside to the weekend is that I was sick the whole time.  Jane kept telling me I probably had strep like all the kids had been treated for.  I was in total denial, but I kept having to wear a mask because the freezing cold dry Idaho air hurt so much going down my throat, so I wore a mask all the time to create humidity when I breathed.  I was insistent that I felt good enough to go to church on Sunday because I really love their ward.  But we ended up leaving after only Sacrament Meeting because I was about to pass out.  We went back to their house and ate a pot roast lunch, but by the time we loaded up to come back home I was in terrible shape.  When we got back to our house 3 1/2 hours later I was running a high fever and was shivering uncontrollably and my throat was on fire.  It was miserable, but luckily I was able to start on antibiotics the next morning and within 24 hours there was a dramatic improvement!

No comments: