"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, October 24, 2010

15 Weeks

"Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl."

I had an appointment with the midwife on Friday and everything looks great. I have no idea how much weight I'm gaining this time because I always tell the staff not to tell me and I hide my eyes while on the scale. I'm sure I am on the sixty pound track again like always. I was able to hear the sweet little heartbeat for the first time also and it was music to my ears! I was really nervous going in to that appointment because it was at fifteen weeks that my best friend, Brandi's, baby stopped living back in July. I was confident that things were fine, but still I was on edge. When the MW finally found the heartbeat, I about cried.

It was beating at 165 bpm, and at this point I am guessing girl. My boys have been consistsently in the 140 range at fifteenish weeks, while my girls are in the 160-170 range at the same stage. Of course most medical personel will tell you that is just a myth, but I am going by my own history. I have never done this before, but this week I am going to do that Drano urine test to predict the gender. I've heard a lot of people say it was accurate for them! The Chinese birth chart (which has also been accurate each time for me) says we are having a boy. All this vudu can make a lady crazy! The big U/S is set for November 17th, so a little over three weeks from now. I will be nineteen weeks, so they should be able to see all of the anatomy and tell the gender by then. Honestly, as always I am just praying for a healthy baby. But it would be nice if it also had a penis because that would make a few people in this house VERY happy. I know Cody really wants another son, and the other day Ethan and Hailey came to me for a little intervention.

"Mom," Ethan said. "I hope that baby in your tummy is a new baby brother. I just have no use for anymore sisters."

And then Hailey chimed in, "Yeah Mom. Sisters are way too much trouble. I think we need another brother too."

I'm pretty sure both of them were speaking in refernce to Lauren, who has been a grade-A pill these days. She is for sure at that age! But of course we love our Chudda no matter how obnoxious she has been recently!

These days I am feeling human again. I still want to gag most mornings if I have not eaten anything, but my energy has for sure returned. My belly is growing like mad (thank you progestrone) and I am in full maternity clothes, which are still a little big but way more comfy than normal clothes. Plus, they say "pregnant" and not just "fat". I have been craving chicken like mad! Especially spicy chicken sandwiches from Wendy's. The hotter, the better. Actually, anything meaty is yummy these days. I love Sundays because I always cook a big piece of meat, be it pot roast or a whole roasted chicken. Gravy. Potatoes. A huge salad with tangy dressing. My mouth is watering!

Only twenty five more weeks until we meet the final member of our family and I close this chapter in my life. It's bittersweet to think about.

2 comments:

Miles and Bex said...

I am excited for you!!!!

bethany said...

I love your posts-they will be such great records to look back. And I know what you mean about the bittersweet thing. Nice to have it behind you, but a little sad in a way.