"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, July 3, 2009

And Jesus Wept

This evening after a very heart wrenching conversation with my little brother, Philip, my heart was heavy. I opened my email inbox to find the most inspired letter from Leighann, our missionary. I can't imagine what this must be like for her, but in a way I envy her because of the spiritual plane she is on right now. I needed her perspective. Here is a bit from her letter-

In John 11:1-46, Christ receives word that Lazarus (the brother of Martha and Mary - Christ's dear friends) is very sick. Two days later, before He's had a chance to get there, He discovers that Lazarus has died. He quickly goes to Bethany because He has the work of God to do. As He enters the city, He's met by Martha who tells Him, "If thou hadst been here, my brother had not died." Christ, because He knows what she needs at that moment, explains to her Plan of Salvation and lets her know of his plans to resurrect Lazarus right then and there. Martha is comforted in knowing this.

Jesus travels in farther and is next met by a very tear-drenched Mary. She echoes Martha's words and tells Him, "If thou hadst been here, my brother had not died." He looks at her tear-stained face, then looks at all the others crying. And then, in one of the most beautiful statements in the Bible, we learn that "Jesus wept" with them.

My dear sister, do you know what this means for you? I am Martha. When I learned of Joseph's death last night, I was heart broken, but I received immediate comfort because of my knowledge and testimony of the Plan of Salvation. Christ knew that was what I needed right then and there to be ok. You are Mary. Christ knows of what's in store for our brother. He knows that because of our parents' faithfulness, our family will be eternal. But rather than shouting these things at you, right now Jesus Christ, the Savior and redeemer of the world, is weeping with you.

Do you know this? He's been there. On that lone and dreary night in the Garden of Gethsemane, He thought of you. He felt of this precise moment. He knows what you need better than you do. And He's weeping with you. Please rely on Him. He so desperately desires that.

In this moment I am comforted. I am so thankful to Christ and for His atoning sacrifice so that He could understand my pain. And I'm so thankful for an inspired sister who knew I needed to be reminded of this.

4 comments:

Carli said...

wow! that was powerful! I am so glad you posted that beautiful letter!

Bel said...

What a comforting beautiful letter. I had to hold back tears, your sister words were definitely inspired. Hang on to the Lord and he will carry you through until you can walk on your own again :)

Ute Family said...

Beautifully written. What an amazing sister you have and I'm so glad you have found comfort in her words.
Know once again that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I care for you and hope that you're family feels that spirit of love and comfort.

Margo said...

What a beautiful letter. It sure has given me more desire to be the person Jesus wants me to be.