"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Joseph Died

...Actually saying those terrible words out loud is unreal. No, it's surreal. You aren't supposed to bury your baby brother. Putting a life in terms of past tense is wrong. He was not even 27, far too young to die. There was a terrible car accident in the wee hours of the morning today when his friend (the driver) fell asleep at the wheel. They were driving back from D.C. and Joseph had taken his seat belt off to get more comfortable. He was sound asleep and died on impact. The coroner is sure of it.

You never want to receive a phone call from your parents early in the morning. It can never be good. When the phone rang I knew something was wrong. My dad gave Cody the news. He came in and just held me, trying to figure out the words to say to soften the blow.

He was two years younger than me. My kid brother. Almost every picture I have of him, oddly enough, I'm in the picture with him. It's amazing the random memories that fill my mind and flood my eyes every time I shut them. Is it possible to become dehydrated from crying? I think I'm to that point. I don't know what to do with the last 12 hours. It's not supposed to happen like this.

All I can think about is the last time I talked to him. It's been months and I can't stop the guilt of that thought. But we've all been busy and life only seems to speed up. I keep thinking that I wish I'd hugged him tighter the last time I saw him. I wish I'd told him what he means to me, what the last 27 years of our lives have meant to me. I wish I had called him yesterday evening. I wish. I wish I could wake up from this nightmare.

12 comments:

Bel said...

Oh no sweetie! I am so sorry for your loss I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through. I am here for you if you need anything at all, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Emma said...

You and your family are in our prayers. I don't even know what words to offer as comfort, all I can say is, I'm so sorry.

Living My Dream said...

My heart is breaking for your loss... crying tears for your pain right now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. And don't worry... he knows what he meant to you, knows now better than when he was here. Sending you my love... know that I am praying for peace as you walk through the great trial.

Carli said...

so sorry veronica! praying for you!

Stacy and Angela said...

I am so sorry, I wish there was more I could say! Your family is in our prayers!

Margo said...

M heart goes out to you Veronica and your family in Texas. I am soooo sorry for your family's loss. My sincere condolences.May the God blesses you and comfort you in this difficult time. You are such a strong woman and I really admire that in you.

Julie said...

Veronica, I am so sorry. There are no workds to take away the pain and the loss but I want you to know that I am thinking of you.

Julie

Janice and Jessica said...

I'm so sorry. I'm thinking of you and your family in this horrible time.

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am so sorry! Can I do anything for you? Seriously! Anything!

Katie said...

I am so sorry. I could never imagine what it would be like to get this sort of news. Devastating. I think my "I wish..." list would look just the same. My prayers and love are with you.

Leilani said...

You and your family are in my prayers. I am so sorry.

Lynnae said...

Veronica, I am so sorry. I can't imagine how difficult this must be. Our thoughts, prayers, and tears are with you. We love you guys.