"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, February 15, 2013

My Funny Valentine

We've been looking forward to this date for a couple of weeks, but it almost didn't happen. Garrett was sick as blazes last night and we spent a few hours in the hospital while he got pumped full of fluids and anti-nausea medication. Yesterday afternoon, after not keeping down a single drop of fluid all day, he spent six hours throwing up green, sludgy, bile. We have plenty of stains on the carpet and towels to prove how sick he was. It's still unknown what caused it, but it's likely a virus. Heand I got back from the hospital very early in the morning and I barely slept a wink.  He spent the morning blowing out his diaper with diarrhea, and I was certain our date would be cancelled.  But he suddenly turned a corner and his appetite came back and he started feeling like his old self again, so we risked it and didn't cancel the babysitter or our reservation for dinner. 

It's so hard finding quality time for each other when five little kids are involved. But the longer we're married and the faster time seems to fly by, the more we're realizing that one day it'll just be the two of us alone in our house together....so we sure dang better enjoy being together!  Oh we had so much fun on our belated Valentine's Day date.  We had dinner at the Market Street Broiler up near the U of U campus.  I've eaten there a few times (my old boss at the U would sometimes treat our department to lunch there) and I ate there once on a girls' day out.  Cody had never been, and I knew he was in for a treat.  The food is to die for!!  We both walked away a little too stuffed.

I love this picture because it looks soooooo much like Garrett!!
We ate upstairs and our booth made us feel like we were on a cruise ship with a little porthole.

When we left the restaurant (which by the way, good thing we made a reservation becasue they place was crazy busy!!) I called the babysitter to check on kids.  She said everyone was fine, so we decided to hit the bowling alley.  Oh my gosh, it was so fun!  They started this new thing where every Friday night they have live music.  You pay a small cover charge to get in, and then $10 per person for an hour of bowling and shoes.  I am a HUGE sucker for live music, so it was a no-brainer.  Cody kicked my but in the first game, I whooped him in the second game, and it was pretty darn close in the third game.




They had a really good cover band who played a variety of classics.  When they started playing Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" we both started laughing because it's the end song to one of our very favorite movies, "Happy Gilmore".  Oh, we are such a classy couple and I seriously wanted to start dancing in the bowling lane!  I'm so lucky to be married to my very best friend in the whole world.  I'm very undeserving of his goodness and love and friendship, but I count myself lucky.  I'm thrilled to be married to him forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.  He is the very best date and an awesome boyfriend!!

No comments: