"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Presidents Day Ice Skating

The Beebes and us have been trying to coordinate a day to go ice skating together and on Presidents Day it happened.  Both families have annual Rec Center passes and ice skating is included, and all we have to pay is $1.50 in skate rentals.  Deal!  Garrett was on day five of being very sick (actually he was almost done with it, but he still felt low energy and wanted to sleep a lot) so Cody drew the short straw and satyed home with him while I took the other four kids.  I LOVE ice skating.  It brings back so many memories of skating around The Galleria at Christmas in Houston!

It was so much fun, and I kept thinking how much I wished Cody had been there because he was missing out.  But then seeing how difficult it was with Graham (who is the exact same age as Garrett) I realized that it was better not to have a little guy out there on the ice.  As soon as we got to the entrance of the ice, Devin went straight for it.  No hesitation at all, until he discovered it was slick!  But still, he was pretty unstoppable. I was shocked because he's not even three and a half!  He spent part of the time on the bench with Zoram, but he spent a lot of time out on the ice.  He really liked it! 

The older three kids were a little hesitant at first, but finally got the nerve and ended up liking it.  Ethan liked it the least, but then again that's his nature.  It's not safe, it's not structure, it's not predictable.  After five minutes of skating around he said "Mom, this just isn't my talent."  What a stinker!  Lauren seemed to be a natural at staying up.  She was the only one of them to take off on her own with out a "walker" thing-a-ma-jig.  She's so tiny and it looked like a three year old skating around out there.  When we were taking skates off, she said "This is what I really want to do.  I need to take lessons."  Baby girl, you're going to have to do it at least 20 more times before we commit to that!















No comments: