"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Morning Space

In the morning, there is a space.  A delightful, chill, breath-of-fresh-air and regain-my-sanity-space between the time that Ethan and Hailey walk out the door for school and we load up to carpool to preschool.  Breakfast is over, kids are dressed, and the three Littles cozy up on my big bed while I have a few minutes to shower.  I turn on some kid-friendly show on our TV and lock myself in the bathroom and have a few minutes of "me time".  I turn the water on to get hot, pull on my bathrobe, and sit on the toilet lid and talk to God.  It's a strange place to pray, but at that moment it's my one secluded spot.  The sound of the water muffles whatever obnoxious song is playing on the TV and I can be alone with my thoughts.  I ask God to help me get through the day with patience, strength, and kindness in my heart.  I ask Him to help me be a good mom and a good wife and a good friend.  I ask Him to help me feel even an inkling of His spirit as I go about my day.  I ask Him to help me be happy and somewhat cheerful at 6:00 that evening when Cody comes home.  And more often than not my desires are granted.  Some days are good, some days are very difficult and no matter how God intervenes, challenges are there. But I'm thankful for that time when I'm alone, as small as it is.

No comments: