"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Thomas Edison Book Report

Ethan has a couple of man crushes.  One- his Uncle Philip.  Two- Thomas Alva Edison.  Three weeks ago he came bursting through the front door after school saying "MOM!! I have to do a book report.  It has to be a biography on anyone I want to read about.  You'll never guess who I'm going to do it on!!"  Well, I figured it wouldn't be on Uncle Philip.  There was only one other possibility.

Ethan already knows almost everything about the man.  In second grade they did a unit on him in science and  it was the only thing all year that really held his interest.  Edison lights his fire like nothing else can.  He may even be preparing his PhD dissertation about the guy!

For part of his report he had to make a poster and draw a carricature of the person.  Then they had to take certain body parts and tie them into special attributes, ways they contributed to society, accomplishments, philosophies, etc.  I like how for his heart he wrote a quote fro Edison- "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."  That's a great quote!

He worked really, really hard on the picture.  I must say, I'm pretty blown away with how well he drew him!  Doesn't really LOOK like Edison, but it looks great nonetheless.  He is kind of a perfectionist with drawing and sketching and he couldn't get his hands quite right, and he was irritated about that.  Today after school he told me all about how his report went and even after he said he got a perfect score, he said "But the hands....the hands were just bad.  They look like a rainbow."  Oh man, this kid is hard on himself.  But I think he'll make a wonderful engineer one day.


No comments: