"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, June 6, 2008

A Week in Idaho

Cody had to go to Minnesota this past week for a workshop. I didn't want to be at home by myself so we planned a trip to Idaho. Even though his mom had to work during the day, I figured I'd at least have company at night when I'm most afraid to be alone! The forcast said it was supposed to be sunny and in the high seventies all week. Wow, were they ever wrong. Saturday was good weather and it allowed for an uneventful 3 1/3 hour drive. The kids were great in the car, which I was very grateful for since I was by myself. The rest of the week was very wondy, cold, and rainy.

Sunday was pretty laid back going to church and all. but it started getting very windy that afternoon. Twin Falls is notorious for wind so I wasn't surprised. Sunday evening we made smores in the microwave since it was too windy to build a campfire out back. Bummer. Smores are not the same nuked. Hailey had fun getting very messy. The best part of getting messy is getting cleaned up. The kids love Grandma and Papa's jetted tub. They think it is paradise!

On Monday things were looking good weather wise, so I packed th kids up and we took lunch to the park. There is a beautiful place called Rock Creek Park a few miles from Jane and Allan's house. It is kind of hidden in the canyon and has a creek running all through it with rapids and water falls. So gorgeous! I didn't know you could fish there, so next time we'll have to take some fishing poles. The only bad things is it was incredibly windy. By the time we got back to the house a severe cold front had blown in and that's how the rest of our visit went. Yuck.








On Wednesday we had a tiny window of good weather. It lasted a whole twenty minutes so we went outside and threw pop-its on the ground. Hailey was a little scared. Then we ran out and it was back to being bored.
Later that day I decided to take the kids bowling. There is very little to do in their one horse town but they do have a bowling ally, and a nice one at that. It is clean and doesn't smell bad, like many of them do. We had fun for the first few frames and then the kids got very bored and wanted to play in the arcade.




Ethan's attempt at a picture of us. It fuzzy, but he's not too shabby for a four year old! Most pictures of me are taken by him these days, unless another adult is around which is rare.

That evening Hailey started throwing up and Ethan was bored out of his mind. The whole state of Idaho is sitting on volcanic ground, much like Yellowstone National Park. Hot springs run wild all underground. About thirty miles from Jane and Allan's place is an area that is loaded with hot spring resorts. One place has an indoor pool that Cody has been trying to get me to go to for years. I have always been uneasy about it because I pictured one of those gross European bath houses.

This place (called 1,000 Springs) was not like that at all. It is an actual swimming pool, just like the one at the Rec Center. Only it feels like the perfect bath water and has very little chlorine in it. It was awesome! There was barely anyone there which was great. I wish I had taken pictures but I was holding the baby the whole time. Ethan went off the diving board over and over again all by himself. He definitely has my blood running though his veins. The love of water must be genetic! And I've named Lauren my Mermaid. She looooooves the water and got so excited when we walked in and she saw the pool. She kept dunking her face in the water and blowing bubbles. So funny! We had a lot of fun, just the three of us. When it was time to go Ethan said "Mom, let's come back again. But next time I want Hailey to come too". He is so sweet.

On Thursday I packed the kids up and we headed out of town. But on the way out I stopped in to Jane's office so she could show off her cute grandkids. Ethan introduced his sisters to everyone. Then she treated us to hamburgers and we took them back to Rock Creek Park to eat. The weather was starting to look up but it was still so windy and cold. After that we said out goodbyes and left town. I'm grateful for another uneventful drive. Thank you Lord!

3 comments:

Carli said...

That stinks that the weather was crappy...but at least the kids were good in the car. That would be my biggest fear. Cute pictures!

Margo said...

Sounds like you had a great time at your in laws place. You go girl taking all your kids for a 31/2 hrs drive. I don't know If I could do that with my two little ones.

Joey and Nettifer said...

You had a wonderful time up there. Sometimes just being away from home is nice! Glad you had some good drives!