"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Musical Resolution



Music has alwasy been an outlet for me. Whether it's blasting a sappy love song on the stero to heal a broken heart or sitting at the piano and playing hymns. It soothes me. Ask my husband...when I'm sitting at the paino and am engrossed in something, don't bother me because I'm probably in a foul mood or in deep thought. Lately I've been at the piano a lot and I've found comfort in it as I've grieved the last two months over our baby. For me it really is true that when words fail, music speaks.

As I've spent time at the piano recently I've decided that I'm good, but I'm not nearly where I'd like to be. Here are some places I'd like to get to.

1. Master playing and singing at the same time. This may sound easy, but it's like patting your head while rubbing your belly. It can very difficult but I want to get good at it. Not so I can be a lounge singer, but so I can say "I can do that". I guess for bragging rights if for nothing else.

2. Master every single chord, and gain a better understanding BEHIND chords. I understand some of the theory, but I want to know more. Right now I'm at the point where I can play most songs as long as I have the music in front of me. But if it's not written on a staff on the page, I can't play it. I want to be able to see the written music and then automatically know how to jazz it up with better knowledge of chords.

3. Improve my sight reading ability. Enough said.

4. Get to the point where I can play by ear. I know this is years and years down the road, but I have always envied people who can do this. Recently I said to myself "Why can't I be one of those people? No reason that I can't".

5. Have the money to one day buy a good piano. Right now I have my grandmother's piano and while I'm grateful to have one at all, it is in pretty bad shape due to age. It is so old that it won't hold a good tune anymore because it's been tuned so many times and the peg holes are stripped. And like I said I"m grateful to have it and it does the job to let me practice. But one day I'll have a new one- I WILL!!!


By the way, yes those top two pictures are of me. That is me at age seven at my grandmother's house- same piano I have now. Love how stupid I look? And then there is me in 7th grade. I miss the cumberbun days!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I so agree. Music is the calming when things are tough, the extra joy when things are good, and allows a person to really relax and ponder good thoughts.
ps...you an come hold Carter any time you want. I'd love the visit.