"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Ballet

Cody and I strive to spend one on one time with each of the kids. It's hard to do with four kids, but it's important. Hailey and I got to have a "Mommy and Hailey date" on March 13th. Well, Devin tagged along but that is a given. The ballet school where she will be starting ballet this summer was performing their big recital. The best part is that tickets were free! Hailey was so excited about it and she had been talking about it...well, for weeks.

We grabbed some dinner before the show started and we ate at Rumbi Island Grill. It was absolutely fantastic food!! Hailey ended up getting a huge adult size burger because she really wanted one with pineapple on it. No dinky kid sized burger for her! And she actually put quite a bit of it away. While we sat there eating, we talked a lot. I'm amazed at how much I can talk to that girl. She is so much like me, it's scary. I found out that her dream vacation would be to visit the rain forest. She told me about all the animals she would see and pet. Never in my life have I known another kid who adored animals as much as she does. I love that about her. She also told me that she wants to be (and in this order) a ballet dancer, an animal doctor, and a mom. You know what Hailey? You can be ALL of those things!

After we left the restaurant, we hit the corner store for some ballet snacks. Twizzlers, Rollos, Sour Patch Kids, Dots...pretty much all the best movie theatre candy.

The show was held at the local high school and it was PACKED. It was a full house and we had to wait in line for a few minutes until they opened the auditorium doors for seating. Hailey was so excited she could barely contain herself. She danced and twirled as we waited in line. We saw a lot of the performers walking around and Hailey's eyes lit up each time one would walk by.

"Look, Mom! Look at her! Look at her dress! Look at her ballet shoes!!"

They performed "Swan Lake", and what an amazing job they did. I was blown away! Each class performed part of it, with the oldest girls performing the biggest roles en pointe. We were next to the aisle, and as hard as I tried, I could not keep Hailey seated. She kept standing up, clapping her hands, dancing and twirling right along as she watched the dancers. Before we got there I was worried that she would think it was boring and that she'd want to leave. But she didn't. MEZ-MOR-IZED was she.

She talked the whole ride home. She talked, and she talked! She talked all about her plans of being a ballet dancer, and what boy she wanted to dance with. There are a few boys in her class that she "loves" and she wanted to dance with all of them. She wanted each of them to be Prince Seigfred while she danced as Odette. How I love this girl! And what a great night we had.








No comments: