"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Best Friend

In my old Seminary teacher's house there was a framed cross stitch on the wall which read "Happiness is being married to your best friend." I saw that every morning when I was at their house. I loved my Seminary teacher and his wife. I loved their whole family. I loved hearing the stories about Jerry and Cathi and how they went from being friends, to dating, and to getting married. I remember thinking how awesome it would be to one day marry my own best friend.

Years later I met Cody. He wasn't what I had in mind. Ask him about my list of 147 requirements that I wanted in a mate. He makes fun of me to this day because of that impossible list. Cody fell short. Very short. But he met all of the vital requirements. He met what really mattered. Cody and I were friends before we ever dated. He was the guy that I would cry to about whatever guy I was crushing on at the time. He was my shoulder. My rock. And I thank my lucky stars that he still wanted to see me after that terrible night when I ordered a $16 meal and only nibbled at the vegetables. He still called me after I treated him like garbage. And somehow, it turned into something more and I ended up marrying the guy.

Our lives intertwined almost one decade ago. So much has happened since then and what a roller coaster we have ridden. We have sure had major ups and major downs. So much has happened in the last decade that at times I can't believe we haven't known each other much longer. As I sit here tonight trying to wind down from the day, all I can think of is how much I love that man. I respect him. I admire him. And I don't deserve him.

Cody continues to fall short. And so do I. But here is the thing- we lift each other up in our shortcomings. We strengthen each other. We have been so fortunate in our marriage that neither of us have been in a "rut" at the same time. When I am down, he lifts me up, and when he is down, I'm able to lift him up. We compliment each other as parents. When I am feeling frazzled and impatient, he is great to calm me down and remind me to not sweat the small stuff. I am able to do the same for him.

And what an incredible father he is. How I love watching him be a daddy to our children. I am so lucky to have him as my partner in rearing these precious spirits. What did I ever do to deserve a man like him?

Cody, you are my best friend. We fight hard, but we love hard. There is no one else I would rather go through eternity with than you. My heart is so full of love for you that it may bring me to tears. I'm sure that surprises you, huh? Ha ha ha. You are my everything. Thank you for being the kind of man that I don't deserve. I love you more.

1 comment:

Janice and Jessica said...

Could you fill us in on how you met? I would love to hear that story. I so enjoy your blog. Thanks as always into letting us peak into your sweet families lives.