"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Lucky 13

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The number 13 is usually unlucky, but tonight it proved differently. Our ward at church had a chili cook off tonight and of course Cody wanted to pull out his culinary skills and make a pot, so he surfed the web and found a few recipes. I think he ended up compiling a few together to make one that he liked. Well when it was all said and done, it was pretty spicy...way spicier than he liked. And it was a very "unique" chili made with zucchini, bratwurst sausage, and grilled steak. We knew it was a long shot taking the chili to be judged. We honestly didn't think it would get eaten. Well, not only did it get eaten it won first place!! We were both blown away. Oh, and his number was 13. Hence the title of this post.


I also signed up to take corn bread. Normally I'm not crazy about corn bread because it is so dry and bland. But my mom makes this AWESOME kind that is sooooo good. So I decided to take it and see if it would get eaten. I was very sceptical that it would because it (again) was very different and unique. But the whole pan was devoured! So many people came up to me and wanted the recipe, so here it is. I will just call it "Texas Corn Bread":



Texas Corn Bread
4 eggs
1 C sugar
1 C softened butter
1 C grated cheddar cheese
1 16 oz can cream of corn
1 C flour
1 C corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together eggs, sugar and butter. Mix in everything else. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. VERY IMPORTANT!!! TURN OVEN DOWN TO 300 WHEN YOU PUT PAN INTO OVEN!!! Bake 1 hour.



4 comments:

Gina said...

Okay, I love that Cody entered the chili cook-off. Kirtis loves to make chili- in fact it's the only thing he makes, but hey, I'll take it! He was bummed that he missed the cook off, because he is very proud of his chili. Tell Cody Congrats!

Joey and Nettifer said...

I missed the party! Darn it!

ishybeanie said...

we just had our activity commity meeting two days ago and we are having a chili cook off, which includes a corn bread cook off, so i am so excited to show these southerners some texas style cornbread thanks and good timing. kim

Heather Jones said...

Thanks for the recipe I totally did not see it before Hello heath!!!