"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, January 25, 2008

Taking Control of My Life

I am so tired of the chaos. I'm tired of not having a single corner of this house that is "mine". I'm tired of not knowing where something is because little hands have gotten to it. I'm tired of forgetting about very important things. This morning started off in a very bad way. After being up all night with Lauren (she is sick) I was already in a bad mood and I had an email waiting for me from Ethan's preschool teacher.

She sent out 2008 registration forms a few weeks ago and for one reason or another I put off registering him. You know how it is..."I will get to it tomorrow" is my catch phrase lately. Tomorrow came and went, but it has been on my mind this whole time that I needed to register him. So I emailed the teacher yesterday asking if I could get him into the same class spot that he is in now. Not only is that class full, but so are her other 2 classes. It is not even February!!!!!!! She said she will put him on the waiting list but it sounds like that is all she "can" do.

I am so furious with myself and I did a lot of crying this morning. It's not just the preschool thing...it's a metaphor for many other things in my life right now. I called my mommy this morning to cry and I got some great advice from her about organizing my life. I thought I could handle things in the same manner with 3 kids as I did with 2, but it's just not working. She said it was after her 3rd that she had to do some serious changing too. You just can't do things that same way after a few kids are added to the picture. So I am using this set back as a vehicle to take back the control in my chaotic life.

One thing I want to get done is finish the basement. I am willing to sell a kidney to pay for it if that's what it takes. We are plain out of room in the 1300 square feet that we have finished. Hailey and Ethan share a room which works fine, but the baby doesn't even have a room right now because what would be her room is used as the "office". That is about to change. Even though the basement isn't finished, it is still usable. When I am angry I use that energy toward cleaning and organizing and throwing things away. This morning I spent my time taking Hailey's crib apart, re-assembling it in the baby's room, bringing the other twin mattress and box springs up from the basement, getting that set up in Ethan/Hailey's room, sorting and organizing (and of course throwing away) of their toys...etc.

In the next week or so I am going to have a phone jack put down in the basement so we can get the computer moved down there. Next I am going to buy a REAL desk to keep down there for all of my stuff. The kitchen is not an office yet it seems to collect everything that should be kept in an office. I am on a roll now. Too bad it took a stupid blunder to kick me in the pants.

Photobucket
Hailey was so excited while I was setting up her big girl bed. She immediately wanted to lie down and take a nap in it, even though it was only 11:00! Of course we still need to get a frame and cute bedding to go with it. But it works for now! This way she can climb out of bed on her own during the night and get into bed with Ethan, rather than having to cry for me to come get her out.

3 comments:

Staci said...

getting your basement done is a wonderful feeling. i always felt like i had somewhere to escape to. even if it was only downstairs. i'm sorry you had such a rough day...we all have them and are still surviving somehow. hope tomorrow is better for you.

Miles and Bex said...

Good for you to take charge and try to get things done. I am excitd for you to do your basement. You will love it. I love our huge playroom downstairs. I am excited to hear if Hailey doew well in her bed.

Joey and Nettifer said...

i know a lot of people who can help you finish your basement and they are a good deal. let me know and i will pass the info along. I have a free desk if you want it?
hang in there you can do it. i always clean and dejunk better when i am in a not so happy mood. my opnion throw it all away :)