"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mini Me

Ever since Hailey was tiny it's been evident that she is my clone. Not so much that she looks like me, but the way she acts and her personality is 100% me. I've got to say she has some adorable characteristics. In fact that's what makes us love her so much and that's how she manages to get out of trouble most of the time. But the more I get to know her, the more I realize why I drove my whole family crazy as a kid. She is nothing but silly energy, stubborn, manipulative, a diva, imaginative, and soooooo emotional.

Lately she has been testing my patience more than I can describe. And every time I tell my parents about it they say "There is a God!" Yesterday was a bad day and I behaved in ways that I'm not proud of. A mom can only take so much! She disobeys and then laughs about it, as if to say "Come on, what are you REALLY going to do about it?" No punishment phases her. We try everything, but she continues to be naughty. Much of the time she is the ring leader of the trouble the kids get into.

Yesterday evening I'd hit my limit and I was sitting on the porch trying to relax while kids played. A one gallon jug of bubbles was sitting there and Hailey kept trying to get into it. I kept telling her that we weren't going to play with bubbles right then. Just a few minutes later I look over and not only is the jug opened, but Hailey is rubbing it all over herself and her sister. Then, before I could say anything, she dumped the bottle right on Lauren's head. It hadn't gotten in Lauren's eyes or mouth yet so they both laughed hysterically.

And then it seeped into her eyes and she started to scream. Let's just say that it was a nightmare rinsing that off the girls because it was impossible to do so with out killing their tender eyes. I had no compassion for Hailey as she cried, which now I'm ashamed of. I should have been more kind and loving toward her. But I was so mad! Lauren was hysterical and I was furious that Hailey had done that to her right in front of me! After a crazy Mom moment, I finally calmed down. But it was a bad time. I love Hailey more than I can say. That love runs deep, but I wish I could say the same about my patience. We are in for a long road with that one!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sometimes, the only thing to do is send the child to its room and close the door for a while.

I wish I could tell you that things wil get better as she grows up. My 8yo son still does some things that make me send him to his room so I can take deep breaths instead of starting to yell at him.

I have to admit that, once all the kids are in bed and I tell dh about our day, I often laugh about the things they did or said. It might have not been funny in that instant but it is, later on.

Enjoy the good, enjoy the bad and keep on loving it.

Julie