"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Woes of Pregnancy

I'm so happy to be pregnant. I truly am, especially after having experienced a miscarriage last year. But that does not make the uncomfortableness of pregnancy any less. This has been a physically difficult pregnancy, perhaps the hardest one yet. I can definitely tell a difference in my body now compared to my 23 year old body with Ethan. Growing four babies in five and a half years...my body is tired.

I can tell how it is affecting my heart. Anemia is creeping up more and more each day and my circulatory system as a whole is struggling. I love having my babies close together like this, but I'm thinking that if we go for baby number five I need a break. Maybe we'll actually put two and a half years between kids next time!

I love ibuprofen. It's my drug of choice, but of course it's dangerous for pregnancy. Tylenol has a always been a joke for me. It does nothing for my fevers nor my headaches. Right now I'm sitting here with the perpetual estrogen headache that starts in week eight and only intensifies until delivery. It's the kind of headache that you can hear pounding in your ears. What can I do for it? Nothing.

And last night I was awake from about 2:30-5:00 with heartburn so bad that it kept bubbling up into my throat. Yuck, I know. I think I went through half a bottle of Tums. Anyway, I'm writing this in hopes that one day this sweet baby boy will read it and be grateful to his Mamma for all she went through while growing him. I love you little boy, and I know you're worth it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Forget the Tums, get some probiotics, they work within minutes and are really good for both you and baby.

Julie

Erin said...

When I complained to my doctor about headaches, she told me to try yoga. Yeah right like I could even bend like that before I was pregnant.

Miles and Bex said...

My doctor put me on zantac. It has helped out a little. Hopefully something can relieve your pain. Good luck.

Sarah Stiles said...

I get those massive headaches, and I am not even pregnant. The sad thing is, I get a lot of the bad pregnancy symptoms, which I experience month after month, but there is not baby at the end of it. Grr. But when I have been pg, those nasty symptoms go away. I LOVED being pg. Didn't care for the delivery much, but I miss the great health I had when I was pg.