"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, August 24, 2009

Kindergarten

I can not believe this day has come. I remember sitting in the hospital the day after he was born and Cody and I talked about this day. It seemed so far into the future though and we brushed it off like it would never happen. But we both agreed that we'd be sad when it did.

Ethan has been looking forward to his first day of Kindergarten for months. The new elementary school has been under construction for a long time and it's only a few blocks from our house. So we've passed it almost every day and watched in anticipation as it grew. I've been excited for a long time for the school year because it means a routine and changes for the better. I love this time of year!

Last night I helped Ethan pick out his clothes for today. Cody gave him the sweetest priesthood blessing and I found myself getting choked up as I listened to the words. This morning Ethan was awake long before I was ready to get up. It was like Christmas morning for him! Per his request we had apple and cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast. I've never seen the kid eat that fast. I got everyone ready and we headed out the door for some video and pictures and then we started walking. It was amazing to see the floods of kids on the streets and sidewalks making their way to the new school.

Once we were there Daddy met us and we found his teacher's line in front of the school. He gave her a bag of cookies with a cute note attached. She loved it and gave him a huge hug. The principal gave a short welcome message and then there was a flag raising ceremony. We then said the pledge of allegiance and sang the national anthem. What an amazing experience!

Then it was time to make our way into the classroom. Today was a short day for kindergartners because the parents had an orientation meeting with the teacher. We just love her already! She's in her mid 50s and couldn't be sweeter. She welcomed the kids on the front mat and read a story to them. Then the kids went out to the playground with the class helpers while the parents stayed inside.

After listening to a lot of instructions and filling out a lot of paperwork, it was time to go. When we met back up with Ethan he was beaming from ear to ear! I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. He started telling me about the new friends he'd already made. He can't wait to go back.

Guess what Ethan- you get to go every day!!

Look at how swollen I am. I can feel my body inflate more and more every day, especially my face!

His great teacher Mrs. Wells

2 comments:

Ev said...

The first day of school is better than Christmas and the 4th together. I'm only happy on this day. OH, HAPPY DAY!!

{By the way, if that's Ethan's teacher, she looks like Sally Field in her Boniva commercials. Hope this one isn't a WEL.)

Sarah Stiles said...

Cameron is jealous. Darn birthday cut offs! He did get accepted into HeadStart, and will get to go the elementary school, which he is beyond excited about.

I am sad that we are not still down in Foxboro sometimes. I so miss it! But we love our neighborhood here, too. Why can't I have it both ways?