"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Back To School


School is almost upon us! I can't believe I have a kindergartner. Ethan starts school on August 24th and Hailey starts preschool on September 9th with Mrs. Kari. She has looked forward to being old enough for two years! We did some shopping this week for new supplies and I loved letting the kids pick out back packs, crayons, construction paper, glue sticks, etc. Although I'm always a little sad to see summer draw to and end, I've always gotten a small thrill when I see school supplies go on sale at the end of the season. This year it got me thinking about everything I loved about the new school year.

-Picking out a new lunch box and back pack.

-Getting a new binder and organizing it.

-Freshly sharpened pencils in my zipper pencil bag.

-The smell of crayons.

-Agonizing over what to wear that first day...and that first month for that matter.

-Finding out who my homeroom teacher was and who would be in my class.

-Getting a new lunch menu and deciding on days I'd buy my lunch.

-Book covers.

-Pocket dividers that had not been doodled on yet (and no dumb boy's last name coupled with my first name!)

-A clean slate and big ideas of making good grades.

-Laying clothes out the night before like a good girl...at least for the first week or so.

-Getting to see friends I hadn't seen all summer.

-Getting a new locker (once I got into Jr. High)

-Practicing really cool things to say in the mirror with Evelyn (looking back we were such dorks).

-Making a "get ready in the morning" schedule and only sticking with it that first day.

-Getting the "Back To School" issue of Teen magazine and reading up on the new trends. (In older years of course :)

No comments: