"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, May 13, 2011

Garrett- 1 Month

Baby G turned one month on May 3rd. That first month flew by, but it seemed to draaaaaaaag at the same time. It's been a rough go with him but we are slowly getting him figured out. Even though we have done this five times, we feel like this is our first rodeo. He has a lot of the same tummy issues that Devin did, and I have to keep reminding myself that he grew out of it...and I pray Garrett does as well! The doctor put him on a couple of medications to help with reflux because he is a projectile vomitter. It doesn't seem to be working too well though,because just last night I got completely drenched with puke from that sweet boy. And I mean all-over-my-body.

He is sleeping in bigger chunks for sure, consiering when we brought him home he was eating every 1 1/2 hours during the night. I am finally feeling human again and that ever present fuzzy feeling is diappearing. The guy still insists on sleeping right up against me, and I'm sure that will continue for several months just like Lauren and Devin did. But you know what? I am not fighting it too much because it just ain't worth the fight, trying to get him to sleep unaccomanied. The only downside is that Cody can't sleep too well in our bed when the baby is there so he's been on the couch. I sure miss my hubby.

When I took him in for his reflux appointment at 4 1/2 weeks, he weighed 10 1/2 pounds. Not too shabby! The guy loves his food for sure. The only thing is he has a hard time nursing when I'm very full of milk because he seems to drown, and as he's gasping for air (quite literally) he takes in too much air and then has to be burped right away. So I often times have to stop and burp him every minute and that makes for a very long nursing session.

The poor kid has had a constant cold of one degree or another since he was two weeks old. I guess that's what happens when there are four petri dishes walking around, spreading germ after germ. Hopefully it means that he will have one killer immune system within a couple of years!

He really loves the binky, which is great because my last two babies were not fans and it meant they wanted to nurse round the clock for pacification. With Garrett, I can hold him off from eating for a little while if I am too busy to feed him right then, because I can stick a binky in his mouth and he's happy...for a short time anyway. It usually gives me a few extra minutes!

The kids absolutely adore him. I think Lauren is his biggst fan and she is constantly trying to "help". She has even started mimicking things I say to him. One of the funniest things she says when he is crying (and she says it in the sweetest mommy voice) "Don't worry Sweetie, you're not gonna die."

It will be fun to see what the next month holds in store for this guy. We love him to pieces and are so happy he's in our family!!!













No comments: